Review by JCash1313

"Absolutely Perfect Remake"

As a kid growing up, Pokemon Gold and Silver were two of my favorite games. Me and my brother absolutely loved these two games. They were easily the best Pokemon games out until the remakes came along. This is how remakes should be made. It keeps what everyone knows and loves then adds ton of awesome add ons. It makes slight changes for the better. It's game play is perfect, it's story is the same as last time but the same one we fell in love with, the graphics are great, and the music is classic. It is perfection in a game. I don't know how Pokemon will be able to top it next generation. Black and White look great but I don't know if they will have anything on the remake of one of the greatest games of all time. Heartgold and SoulSilver are, in my opinion, the best games so far on the Nintendo DS.

The game play is the same as other Pokemon games before it. It has abilities, natures, new moves, and everything added on since the original. It has double battles, wild battles, the Bug Catching Contest and everything else that is classic to Pokemon. It adds new things like fighting gym leaders over again at higher levels, the Pokeathelon, and the Pokewalker. The Pokeathelon is great. It has tons of fun mini games using the touch screen. You play these games to earn points and are able to purchase items with them that change daily. It is a great addition to the game. The Pokewalker is another amazing addition. You walk with it and save up Watts by taking tons of steps. You spend these Watts to look for items and Pokemon to transfer back to the actual game. You can catch tons of old favorites like Magby and others early to help you out in your quest. Now the main difference between this game and it's originals is the online. It is close to the same online as Platinum. You get to trade and battle with friends wherever using Friend Codes gotten from amazing sites like Gamefaqs. You get to battle online and really see how good you are compared to others. It gives you some nice competition. You can battle just to have fun or find people to take it seriously with and have tournaments. Wifi improves this game a lot. This is also the longest Pokemon game up to this date game story wise. You go through twice as many gyms and fight more fights like Rival battles and the Champion Battle. It is incredibly long for a Pokemon game but incredibly exciting and good.

The story is set right after the first Pokemon. You are in Johto and you get to battle through all of their gyms while competing with Team Rocket, and your Rival. It's the same as with many other Pokemon but after you get done with the eight badges and after the first elite four from the Johto then you get to go back to the original Kanto and fight gym leaders of old like Misty and Brock. It is great to see all your old favorites again. You get to go and fight the original Champion Red from the first Pokemon games ever. It is a classic story and it is one of the best a Pokemon game has ever had.

The graphics are great for the DS. Best Pokemon graphics for a hand held out there. It implements both 2d and 3d graphics in a beautiful way. It works for this series. I don't think it gets too much better than this hand held wise without skimping out on other portions. The sounds and music are the same from the other games. It is classic music that everyone knows and loves. From the battle songs, to the gym leader song, to walking around, this music has been with us since the beginning and will probably be with us for the rest of the series. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

So it is longer than any other Pokemon, the story is better than any other Pokemon, the game play has been improved and so have the graphics, so if you are a Pokemon fan or a fan of gaming in general this is a must buy. It is definitely worth the purchase. It has Wifi for incredible replay value. It has, in my opinion, the best Wifi of any game for any handheld. It is an impressive remake and I have to tip my hat to the creators on this one. It is a perfect remake of a near perfect game. It has jumped up to a top 10 game of all time in my book.

Story: 9.5/10
Game play: 10/10
Music: 10/10
Wifi: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/19/10

Game Release: Pokemon HeartGold Version (US, 03/14/10)