Review by Viking_Mudcrap

"The best Pokemon game up to date."

Pokemon Black and White the 5th generation of Pokemon games. I had the pleasure of playing and owning every single of the "main" Pokemon games. I have enjoyed them to death and I can honestly say they are my favorite game series up to date. The game added a lot, but sadly took a lot out from the previous games. It doesn't take a genius to realize they will be added on the third installation of the Black and White games still it's rather disappointing how the developers take features from the older games that actually improved the other games.

The graphics update is just amazing. Most of the Pokemon look great on 3D and they took time to add a "sleep" animation. Well the pokemon just closes the eyes (if any) but it's better than nothing. A lot of Pokemon's got a huge improvement on their back animation. Some Pokemon's like Flygon and Salamance (to name a few) looked terrible on the older games from the back, but with the 3D addition they actually look really cool. Same with flying types as they keep the flapping of wings constantly. It actually adds a little more realism to the game.

The metagame was also changed, a lot. With the addition of Dream World a lot of older Pokemon's that were Never Used or Under Used (tiers) now moved to Over Used (OU) or even Ubers, which means a lot of Pokemon's are more usable. This is great, because a lot of older Pokemon's were not really usable competitive, but with their new abilities, they really shine. It's great how Gamefreaks not only adds new Pokemon's, but actually improves older Pokemon's. This way we at least know everything keeps improving.

The best thing of the game is the story. The game has an actual story this time, now the usual "Collect 8 badges, defeat a "Team of Evil" and beat the champion. The player actually feels immersed because there is an actual story. I won't go into more detail, since I really don't wish to spoil the story.

The real downside is the amount of things to do after the game ends. There is no real conclusion to the story and no Battle Frontier. there are the stronger trainers including Cynthia and a improved Elite Four, but the level for the Elite Four escalates so much, you will be doing some grinding before you can beat them after beating the game. Another thing that I really didn't like is that fact a lot of the after-game trainers will have basic (pre-evolutions) Pokemon's on the level's 60-70. It really is a waste of EXP and time to fight them.

Still a great game I really recommend to older fans or newer fans of the series.

A must buy for the Nintendo DS.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/28/11

Game Release: Pokemon Black Version (US, 03/06/11)