Review by Masquerade_Song

"Not Just For Kids Anymore..."

Intro/Storyline:

So, chances are, if you're planning on purchasing or renting this game, you've played a Pokemon title before. But this game is totally different from the others in terms of depth. I'd been growing out of Pokemon when I bought this game pre-owned. I thought I'd give it a shot because it's a brand new generation of monsters, and a new region. Unova blew me away, completely and utterly. While the storyline is generally the same as any of the other Pokemon games (you're an average kid who receives your first Pokemon and travels the region collecting gym badges), GameFreak has really upgraded to make the game enjoyable for all ages. I admit, I was getting pretty bored of the same old black and white storyline (no pun intended). But the characters that were dished out in this game were incredible. First difference: several rivals.

Normally, you have at the most two, but Pokemon Black and White has three. Bianca and Cheren are the main character's (you) best friends. Whatever Pokemon you don't choose at the beginning, they get. And they have incredible personalities. Bianca is the ditz who isn't all that good at battling, is always eager to lend a helping hand. Cheren is the complete opposite, whose goal is to become the Champion. And you? Well, turns out you're destined to be a hero. But you'll find that out along the game. I won't spoil it. Your third rival? The mysterious N will cross your path several times throughout the game- and you'll battle him a lot. He is one of the most thought provoking characters I have ever had the pleasure to meet in a video game.

Gameplay:

The best yet. While you don't use your stylus as much as you did in HeartGold/SoulSilver, it doesn't matter. The game moves fast, and even once you complete it, the Postgame is so action-packed, you can spend countless days completing it. The Pokedex is pretty hard to complete (I haven't done it yet), as you need to trade between both versions to see every Pokemon. But the National Dex is easier. The Poke Transfer in this game is awesome. It has no limit, but you can't send Pokemon over that have items or HMs. And there's a fun minigame to play when you transfer.

My only complaints are these: the wireless, the XTransceiver, and the "musicals." Yes, you read that right. They replaced Super Contests with Musicals. They don't give you ribbons or anything. You dress up a Pokemon and watch it dance. And then maybe someone will give you a new bow for the next time. I did it twice and got bored. And the wireless just confused me. I have yet to figure out how it works. As for the XTransceiver, it's sort of like the phone on your Pokegear from HG/SS, but you can't call anyone. They call you. It's pretty pointless. And you can't rematch any regular trainers.

Graphics/Sound:

Oh my freaking God, they are amazing! The battle sprites actually move, and there are several cut-scenes in 3D. By far the best graphics for any game I've ever played. Period.

The music? Beautiful. I played the game with the sound up. The song that plays prior to the credits is by far the most gorgeous thing I've heard in any Pokemon game. It could honestly be a movie theme. And the credits have such a catchy tune, I honestly watched them just to listen to it. By the way, the end of the credits has a cut-scene, so watch out for it.

Play Time:

I played it in a little over a week, but I'm a game addict. For the average Pokemon player (2 to 3 hours a day), I'd give it two to three weeks for the first game, and then another week for the postgame. So a month at most. And it's so fun, I'm definitely going to replay it eventually, if I can summon the strength to part with my beloved team of Pokemon:)

Buy or Rent?

I bought mine pre-owned, which saved me about five dollars. I would definitely buy it. It is the most enjoyable Pokemon game yet!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/11

Game Release: Pokemon Black Version (US, 03/06/11)