Review by Phweemaggot

"This guy didn't deserve a place in Super Smsh Bros. Melee."

This is not the best E-Reader game I’ve seen. It’s certainly not the worst, (that’s a special honor reserved for Baseball, which I might review in the future) but it’s not that great.

What can you expect? It’s an NES game without the benefits of a TV speaker. Though that wouldn’t have been a big deal if what little music there was actually GOOD. I can’t stand that tune. In the game’s defense, I have no problem with the sound effects.

Pretty good, considering this game is 19 years old. The walking animation is smooth, the shading of the blocks is decent. The thing is, the main character and the enemies don’t look good at all.

Controls: 6/10

The control pad, as always, moves you left and right. The A button makes you jump and pull out your hammer to smash overhead blocks of ice. The jump is actually very pathetic, and unless you have a good running start, you can’t move left and right very far. Hitting B will make you swing your hammer. Strangely, when I tried to attack an enemy above me, I had to hold A and B down, but when you jump, your hammer is out anyway so…

There are thirty two mountains to scale, each with eight floors and a bonus level. Here’s how it works. Jump. Jump like the wind! Keep moving up until you hit the bonus level. Then you got forty seconds to jump to the top of that. But, oh, it’s not that simple (it never is). First, there is a severe shortage of things to jump to, in most cases. Some of the blocks are like conveyor belts that push you in a certain direction.

Then you have three different enemies, which are a mixed blessing. Well, except the condor. That thing’s only bad. The furry white things, nitpick’s, will fill up the blocks in a floor layer. Good if you don’t want to risk falling, bad if you’re trying to break through that particular floor. Then there are the polar bears. They can jump up, crash down, and make the second floor become the lowest (you can only see four at a time). Now, if you can’t get to the next floor, and you’re on the bottom, you will move onto the next one after you die from falling. Of course, if you don’t have any extra lives, it screws you up. Then there’s the condor. It flies around and attacks you. While the others are double-edged swords, the condor has just one blade, and it’s pointed at you.

Replay Value: 1/10

Once you beat it, you probably won’t play it again. The only reason I finished it was because I was bored. Since there is no replay value, I gave it this.

Buy, Rent, or Leave It?:

Leave it. You obviously can’t rent E-Reader cards, but even if you could, you shouldn’t, because 1. The game is just bad, and 2. You could buy it with the money it would take to rent it twice.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/03, Updated 07/18/03