Review by captainginyu89

"If you already have Super Mario Advance 1-4, this is useless."

When the e-Reader came out with series 1 way back when, it was lackluster. However when series 2 came out, it really sold the e-Reader to me. Unfortunately, this is a review for the worst game in series 2. Mario Bros.

Graphics- 7
Adequate. It didn't look special on the NES almost 20 years ago, it doesn't look especially appealing now. Sure, I understand that the game is older than me, but, it just isn't up to snuff compared to the battle mode in the Super Mario Advances or even to other e-Reader games really. I do like the Mario Animations though, it looks like he's playing Air Guitar.

Sound- 8
Exactly as I remembered it on the NES. Sound effects are classic Mario. However the game's sound just isn't as good as other e-Reader games.

Gameplay- 5
First let me get this out of the way, if you already have a Super Mario Advance title, you absolutely don't need this game. The version on the SMA title has updated graphics, sound, and has a 4-player battle mode. Plus, chances are, if you don't have a SMA title, you really aren't into Mario and probably wont want this anyway.
Anywho, You play as good ol' Mario running around a sewer. Enemies come out of the pipes surrounding you, and you have to bump into the platform underneath them to get them to turn upside down. After that, you kick them simply by running into them. Sounds simple? It is? It's not easy however, as the game requires precise jumps, however the control is loose...

Control- 5
The control is pretty loose. I don't remember the Arcade version or the NES version being like this. In a game that requires precise jumping, this is bad. It's also somewhat slower to the Arcade version, but the NES version was like this, so i'll let it slide.

Pros
Graphics ain't bad
Sound ain't bad
The game ain't bad

Cons
Imprecise controls
Useless if you have a SMA title
Not really that fun

Buy/Rent/Avoid
Unless you don't have a SMA title and really love Mario, it's not worth your time. It's not worth the $5, really.
Avoid.