Review by omega9999

"A classic finds a new home."

Balloon Fight first came out in 1984 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. I wasn't born then, so I can't tell you about when it was released. Luckily, we still had the game when I was around 5 years old. Once I started playing, I couldn't stop. I'm glad the game has been remade on the e-Reader. At least I don't have to mess around with my now-broken NES just to play it. Now, onto the review.

Graphics - Well, what can I say? The graphics aren't the greatest thing out there, but they do stay true to the days of the NES, and I like reliving those old memories. The GBA's screen, in fact, does make them look a little better than the NES. But this doesn't matter, really, when you get sucked up into the game. When you do, you'll be reliving fond memories of NES.

Control - The controls are fairly simple. You can either hold B or repeatedly tap A to get yourself in the air, and you can use the D-pad you control yourself. It can get a little frustrating, though, at times, because your Balloon Fighter will often overshoot what you're aiming for. It takes a few minutes to learn to compensate, but once you've gotten that down, you're good to go.

Gameplay - There's really nothing more addictive than trying to pop your enemies' balloons while trying to save your own. While the game may seem simple at first, you'll soon find that you're hooked. There are two modes of play: One-Player Mode and Balloon Trip. The one-player mode is addictive, and the Balloon Trip mode finds you testing your skills against wave after wave of electircal sparks. The game is very well made, with no two stages ever really being the same. The replay value is huge, as you'll often find yourself trying to beat your old High Score, or trying to get farther in the game than you ever have before.

Sound - The music and sounds stay true to the NES game. Whether it's the happy music, your enemies' balloons popping, or your enemies floating down to their doom, the game really stays true to its classic version.

Overall - Balloon Fight for the e-Reader is an exciting game with addictive gameplay. I would recommend this game to anyone with a craving for a good action game. The cards for this game are cheap, only around $4, so pick it up. Trust me, it's worth it. And if you haven't played this game on the NES, give it a try. It's sheer fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/30/02, Updated 09/30/02