Review by ohnoitschris

"If you're going to get one game from NES Series 1, get Balloon Fight!"

Like the other NES games, Balloon Fight was released in the mid 80's as one of the first NES games. Since I wasn't even alive in the mid 80s, I can't really say too much about it's history. All I know is that it's a pure kick ass e-Reader game.

_Graphics_

Nothing too special here. I -really- hate how the sprites weren't fixed up to fit on the GBA's screen (Unfortunately, that's a problem with every e-Reader NES game), but, bah. You've got a bland black background, clouds that give off sparks of electricity, floating land, eventually a flipper, and a small body of water. For the foreground, you have your balloon fighter, and the rival balloon fighters. That's very good for early NES games, but still.

_Sound_

Just like any other early NES game, Bloop! Beep! Doo doo doo doo doo loo loo *repeat*, and Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep is every piece of sound in the game. Need I say more?

_Gameplay_

People buy games for the gameplay, not the graphics, right? Well... They used to. This is why Balloon Fight is so great. A simple concept: Your balloon fighter who has 2 balloons to start out with, and must pop the rival balloon fighter's balloons by supposedly kicking them. Of course, since you're flying around supported by nothing but one or two balloons and your arms, controlling isn't going to be easy. The very loose controlling might be difficult at first, but you'll (hopefully) get used to it.

In between every 3 stages, there's a bonus stage where balloons emerge from 4 pipes, and you must fly to every balloon and pop them before they get away and fly off screen! Even if you don't get any balloons during the bonus stage, you'll still recover your second balloon, had you have lost one.

There is a lack of multiplayer, however. Anyone reading this review who played Balloon Fight as a wee child knows that multiplayer Balloon Fight was a lot of fun. But unless you want to go hunting for a NES or hook up an old one, there's no multiplayer Balloon Fight for you!

_Final Thoughts_

Got an e-Reader? Then buy Balloon Fight. Don't have an e-Reader? Then... Go decide if you want one or not. If you do get one, then get Balloon Fight to go along with it!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/08/02, Updated 11/08/02