What are the rules here?
What is Karma and how do I get it?
Karma is lost when an account is used to post messages that are in violation of the TOU; 3 Karma for a "Notification", and 10 Karma for a "Warning". For a Timed Suspension (given out for very serious violations), any amount of Karma can be lost. Once karma is lost, it's lost forever, and will not be restored unless the moderation is successfully contested.
As your Karma increases, so does your board level, which grants additional privileges and features on the boards.
What are the board levels?
- (-4) Closed - Account closed by user. Closed accounts cannot be re-opened under any circumstances.
- (-3) Blocked - Account blocked from message boards.
- (-2) Banned - User has been banned from posting messages for one or more Terms of Service violations.
- (-1) Suspended - User's posting privileges have been suspended for one or more Terms of Service violations, pending review by an Administrator.
- (1) Read-Only - Account can only be used to read messages on the boards.
- (2) Locked - Account locked by an administrator to prevent abuse.
- (3) Purgatory - Account suspended for a set period of time by an admin for numerous and/or severe TOS violations.
- (4) Pending Review - Account activated, but pending review by an administrator before use
- (5) Warned - User on "parole" for one or more major Terms of Service violations. Can only post 3 messages per hour (10 per day), no topics, restored after 48-72 hours.
- (6) Negative Karma - User has karma of less than zero. User can post a total of one message per day, and any further TOS violations are grounds for banning.
- (10) Provisional (1) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 1 topic, 10 messages per day (3 per hour).
- (11) Provisional (2) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 2 topics, 20 messages per day (5 per hour).
- (12) Provisional (3) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 3 topics, 30 messages per day (10 per hour).
- (13) Provisional (4) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 4 topics, 40 messages per day (15 per hour).
- (14) Provisional (5) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 5 topics, 50 messages per day. Can delete own messages, close topics.
- (15) New User (1) - Awarded to users with at least 3 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 75 messages per day. Can now view own posting history.
- (20) New User (2) - Awarded to users with at least 10 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 100 messages per day. Can now mark messages for moderation.
- (25) New User (3) - Awarded to users with at least 25 Karma. No level posting restrictions. Can now edit posts.
- (30) Regular User - Awarded to users with at least 50 Karma. Can now use advanced options.
- (31) Veteran - Awarded to users with at least 100 Karma.
- (32) Legend - Awarded to users with at least 250 Karma.
- (33) Elite - Awarded to users with at least 500 Karma.
- (34) Icon - Awarded to users with at least 1000 Karma.
- (35) Idol - Awarded to users with at least 1500 Karma.
- (36) Ancient - Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
- (37) Sage - Awarded to users with at least 3000 Karma.
- (38) ? Block - Awarded to users with at least 5000 Karma. Wow.
- (39) ??? - Awarded to users with at least 10000 Karma. Seriously?
- (41) VIP - Media - Verified Industry Poster - User confirmed as a professional member of the gaming media.
- (42) VIP - Industry - Verified Industry Poster - User confirmed as a member of the game industry, although not directly involved in game production.
- (43) VIP - Production - Verified Industry Poster - User confirmed as a member of the game industry, involved in game production.
- (50) New Moderator - Moderators new to the moderation staff
- (51) Moderator - GameFAQs Message Board Moderators, handle marked messages and user issues
- (52) Veteran Moderator - Moderators who have been on the staff for 4 or more years
- (53) Lead Moderator - Moderators who also handle some administrative duties
- (60) Administrator - Administrators can review and ban suspended users, as well as controlling all other aspects of the boards
- (70) Data Administrator - Account used for Coding/Testing of Boards
How does the moderation system work?
How can I change my signature and other settings?
Why doesn't my quote show up when I post messages?
How do I make my text bold and/or italic?
My account is at the Read-Only level. How can I post messages?
How do I post messages or create topics on the boards?
How do I delete my own message or topic?
How do I close my own topic?
How can I become a moderator?
How can I change my username?
Can I transfer my Karma to another account?
How do I use spoiler and quote tags?
Spoiler tags can be used to hide plot-sensitive information in your post without spoiling it for people who might not know about it yet. To view a spoiler, you can simply highlight the message text, or on GameFAQs mobile, just click it.
In order to post spoilers, enclose the text you wish to hide using <spoiler> and </spoiler>. For example:
<spoiler>John Dies at the End</spoiler>
John Dies at the End
Quote tags are a better way to highlight text posted by another user included in your post. When quoting another user, the quote tags are automatically added around the quoted text, but if you want to customize the quote, you can use the tags on your own.
<quote>That's what she said.</quote>
Remember, attempting to hide TOU violations inside of spoiler tags will be considered an intentional violation, and will be moderated much more harshly.