What actions can the moderators take on a marked message?
- Delete Only: The moderators can delete a message or topic from the boards with no additional penalty to the poster. This often happens for very minor or technical violations, but should not be seen as a warrant to continue the same behavior.
- Notification: In addition to deleting the message, the moderators can notify the user of the infraction, reducing their Karma by three at the same time. This is done for more severe violations, and the user will receive a system notification when this happens. It is hoped that by notifying the user of their moderation, they will understand what it is they've done wrong and can correct their behavior.
- Warning: If a TOU violation is repeated, severe, or intentional, the moderators can place a warning on the user's account, which leaves them at Level 5 for two days. While warned, a user cannot create topics and can post very few messages per day, and 10 Karma is also deducted from the user.
- Suspension: If a TOU violation is repeated, severe, or intentional, and the user has shown a clear disregard for the site rules, they can be suspended, preventing them from making any more posts. Suspended users are reviewed by an administrator, who can permanently ban them from the site or take other less severe action if they feel that the user deserves a second chance.
If a marked message is not a TOU violation or the marking feature was used abusively, the moderators can also choose to ignore or de-prioritize any further marked messages from that user, or even suspend them if the need arises.
There's another user on the boards who is harassing/annoying me. Can you stop it?
Can banned accounts be restored?
What is a usermap and what does it mean?
My brother/cousin/friend/roommate posted those messages, not me! Why did you ban me?
Why did my message get moderated when another message that said the same thing didn't?
If your message was deleted by a moderator, that's because another board user marked your message, and the moderator found it to be in violation of the TOU and deleted it. Messages are looked at one at a time and not compared to other messages on that same board. If your post violated the TOU, it will be deleted. If you see someone else's post that violates the TOU in the exact same way, you have the ability to mark that message for moderation as well.
What can I do if I feel that a moderation was unfair?
I have a right to free speech! What right do you have to delete my messages?
How long do posts stay on the boards?
- Under 6 messages: 10 Days
- 6-100 messages: 30 Days
- 101-250 Messages: 20 Days
- 251-500 Messages: 15 Days
- 501-1000 Messages: 12 Days
- 1001-2500 Messages: 10 Days
- 2501-5000 Messages: 7 Days
- 5001-7500 Messages: 6 Days
- 7501-10000 Messages: 5 Days
- 10001-12500 Messages: 4 Days
- 12501-15000 Messages: 3 Days
- 15001-20000 Messages: 2 Days
- 20001 or more Messages: 1 Day