What is Karma and how do I get it?
Karma is the numerical representation of your board status. Accounts Level 6 or higher earn Karma at a rate of one per day that the account is logged in and visits the message boards at least once.
Karma is lost when an account is used to post messages that are in violation of the ToU; 3 Karma for a "Notification", and 10 Karma for a "Warning". For "Purgatory" (given out for very serious violations), any amount of Karma can be lost. Once karma is lost, it's lost forever, and will not be restored unless the moderation is successfully contested.
As your Karma increases, so does your board level, which grants additional privileges and features on the boards. Karma is tied to one account, and cannot be transferred.
How can I change my signature and other settings?
You can go to your Account Settings page by clicking on your username in the site header. From there, you can adjust your settings and make changes to your signature.
How do I add special formatting to my messages?
When posting a message, there will be a row of buttons above the text area that can be used to add HTML tags into your post. If these buttons are not accessible, you can turn on the "Show Tag Buttons" option on the Advanced Site Settings page. You can also manually add tags yourself if you are familiar with HTML. You can see which HTML tags we support by enabling the tag buttons in Advanced Settings.
My account is at the Read-Only level. How can I post messages?
If your account was set to Read-Only and you feel like it shouldn't have been, you can fill out this form to attempt to get it upgraded. If you currently have banned/suspended accounts on your usermap, have an offensive username, are using an abused ISP or proxy, or are abusing the account creation system in any other way, your account will not be upgraded.
How do I delete my own message or topic?
Once your account is Level 14 or higher, you can click on the "Message Detail" link for your own message and use the deletion option there. You cannot delete any topic that contains more than your own first post, nor can you delete the message that was used to create the topic.
How do I close my own topic?
If nobody has posted in your topic for at least five minutes, you can close it. Simply click on the "Message Detail" link for your first message in the topic and use the close option there.
How can I become a moderator?
If you feel like you would make a good moderator for the message boards, you can fill out an application here. Please read everything carefully to ensure that you qualify for the position before filling out the application.
What are the board levels?
- (-4) Closed - Account closed by user. Closed accounts cannot be re-opened under any circumstances.
- (-3) Blocked - Account blocked from message boards.
- (-2) Banned - User has been banned from posting messages for one or more Terms of Service violations.
- (-1) Suspended - User's posting privileges have been suspended for one or more Terms of Service violations, pending review by an Administrator.
- (1) Read-Only - Account can only be used to read messages on the boards.
- (2) Locked - Account locked by an administrator to prevent abuse.
- (3) Purgatory - Account suspended for a set period of time by an admin for numerous and/or severe TOS violations.
- (4) Pending Review - Account activated, but pending review by an administrator before use
- (5) Warned - User on "parole" for one or more major Terms of Service violations. Can only post 3 messages per hour (10 per day), no topics, restored after 48-72 hours.
- (6) Negative Karma - User has karma of less than zero. User can post a total of one message per day, and any further TOS violations are grounds for banning.
- (10) Provisional (1) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 1 topic, 10 messages per day (3 per hour).
- (11) Provisional (2) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 2 topics, 20 messages per day (5 per hour).
- (12) Provisional (3) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 3 topics, 30 messages per day (10 per hour).
- (13) Provisional (4) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 4 topics, 40 messages per day (15 per hour).
- (14) Provisional (5) - New account with less than 3 Karma. Can create 5 topics, 50 messages per day. Can delete own messages, close topics.
- (15) New User (1) - Awarded to users with at least 3 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 75 messages per day. Can now view own posting history.
- (20) New User (2) - Awarded to users with at least 10 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 100 messages per day. Can now mark messages for moderation.
- (25) New User (3) - Awarded to users with at least 25 Karma. No level posting restrictions. Can now edit posts.
- (30) Regular User - Awarded to users with at least 50 Karma. Can now use advanced options.
- (31) Veteran - Awarded to users with at least 100 Karma.
- (32) Legend - Awarded to users with at least 250 Karma.
- (33) Elite - Awarded to users with at least 500 Karma.
- (34) Icon - Awarded to users with at least 1000 Karma.
- (35) Idol - Awarded to users with at least 1500 Karma.
- (36) Ancient - Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
- (37) Sage - Awarded to users with at least 3000 Karma.
- (38) ? Block - Awarded to users with at least 5000 Karma. Wow.
- (39) ??? - Awarded to users with at least 10000 Karma. Seriously?
- (41) VIP - Media - Verified Industry Poster - User confirmed as a professional member of the gaming media.
- (42) VIP - Industry - Verified Industry Poster - User confirmed as a member of the game industry, although not directly involved in game production.
- (43) VIP - Production - Verified Industry Poster - User confirmed as a member of the game industry, involved in game production.
- (50) New Moderator - Moderators new to the moderation staff
- (51) Moderator - GameFAQs Message Board Moderators, handle marked messages and user issues
- (52) Veteran Moderator - Moderators who have been on the staff for 4 or more years
- (53) Lead Moderator - Moderators who also handle some administrative duties
- (60) Administrator - Administrators can review and ban suspended users, as well as controlling all other aspects of the boards
- (70) Data Administrator - Account used for Coding/Testing of Boards