What is a Collaborative FAQ?
A Collaborative FAQ is a wiki-like space for every game on GameFAQs that allows multiple users to work together and create a guide for each game on the site. Instead of the traditional single-author FAQs, the Collaborative FAQ system is designed to have many authors and is designed to help users share information about a game quickly and without the dedicated effort a traditional Contributor FAQ requires.
Who can edit a Collaborative FAQ?
Anybody with a GameFAQs account can edit a Collaborative FAQ. Registration is free, but required in order to edit a FAQ.
How quickly are updates to a page posted?
All new pages and page updates must be approved by a moderator before posting, which should take less than 15 minutes under normal circumstances.
How do I add markup to a page?
All of the markup guidelines are explained with examples on the Edit Page form. The markup is based on WikiMedia markup, with some changes made to better support Collaborative FAQs.
What belongs in a Collaborative FAQ?
There are three default sections to a Collaborative FAQ:
- How to Play / Controls, which should contain the game's controls, character moves, and other basic information about how to play the game.
- Walkthrough, which should contain a guide to beat the game from beginning to end - taking users through each step of the game to get them past any places where they would be stuck.
- Supplemental Data, which should contain everything else about a game that's not part of the controls or the walkthrough, such as various lists (enemies, weapons, items) and other information.
What doesn't belong in a Collaborative FAQ?
- Anything not about playing the game itself. This means reviews, sales, questions, trivia, chat, or artwork.
- Anything already included on other dedicated pages of the site: Cheats, Release Data, Credits, Screenshots, or Box Shots.
- Anything about you. All text in the Collaborative FAQ should be written from a neutral second- or third-party perspective - No first-person voice should be used (i.e. "I", "My", "We", "Our"), and avoid commentary and personal opinion. You should not include your own name or email in the FAQ at all - credit for your work is automatically given at the bottom of the page.
- Content copied from other sources. All work in a Collaborative FAQ should be your own work, and not taken from any third party.
How do I add new pages?
To add a new page, simply click on the "Edit this FAQ" link on a Collaborative FAQ home page, and then "Add a New Page" to the appropriate section.
How do I edit existing pages?
To edit an existing page, you can either click on the "Edit this Page" link on any Collaborative FAQ page, or click the "Edit this FAQ" link on the Collaborative FAQ home page and then select the page you wish to edit.
How are abuse and vandalism handled?
All Collaborative FAQ additions and updates are subject to review by a moderator. Abuse and vandalism can lead to your account being blocked from making further updates either temporarily or permanently, and flagrant abuse or abuse across multiple accounts can result in your account being banned and/or your IP address being blocked.
Who owns the content in a Collaborative FAQ?