What is GameFAQs Video?
What kinds of video do you accept?
How do I capture video of a game?
We have partnered with Elgato to supply the Game Capture HD to some of our top contributors. This device can capture video from almost any system that outputs video via Component or HDMI (including the GameCube, Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, iPad, and iPhone). There are other HD capture devices available at retail as well.
For capturing video from an older system, there are many analog capture devices (for example) on the market that can record output from systems that output a composite or S-VHS video signal.
For capturing games played on a computer, there are many different software packages for recording video, the most well-known of which is probably FRAPS.
For capturing games on systems with no dedicated video output, you may use a camera, but the video screen should remain steady and in frame throughout the video.
How do I add commentary to a video?
What are the technical requirements for submitting a video?
- For High Definition games, your video should be recorded in HD (we recommend a resolution of 720p, or 1280 x 720 pixels in progressive scan) - non HD games should be recorded at 480p (640 x 480 pixels), or an appropriate matching resolution for the content.
- Videos should be recorded and must be submitted with the proper aspect ratio. Your video should not have black bars at the top and bottom (letterbox) or at the sides (pillarbox). If you are using a tool to add commentary or overlays to your video, ensure that the output ratio matches the input ratio.
- We recommend submitting videos in MPEG-4 format (file extension .mp4), with a maximum bitrate of 5000kbps (we encode at 4000) for HD video captures.
- We recommend should split your videos into smaller parts of 20 minutes or less each, with each video file covering a single level or area in a game. This allows for easier navigation by users, and easier file handling for you and us.
- We are currently accepting a maximum file size of 3GB for a single video file. This should be more than enough for half an hour of video at 720p with an extremely high bitrate.
What are the content requirements for submitting a Video Walkthrough?
- A full Video Walkthrough should cover how to complete the primary single-player game experience, from beginning to end. Beyond the main game, covering additional modes and side-quests is optional, but more than welcome.
- An in-depth or character Video Guide should cover the in-depth subject just as a in-depth or character FAQ would - covering a single character, side-quest, mini-game, or collection goal that would not necessarily be included as part of a full walkthrough.
- Your video must contain a steady stream of commentary, preferably audio (although visual commentary is also acceptable and may be more appropriate for certain games), to provide tips and information on how to complete the game.
- Your commentary can not include offensive or derogatory comments (racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.), and should not contain language inappropriate to the content level of the game (i.e. constant swearing when covering an E-rated game).
- You may edit your video to cut out any non-essential content (cutscenes, long travel sequences, backtracking) if you feel they are not necessary to show how to complete the game.
- We will not accept video for adult games containing explicit sexual situations.
Will GameFAQs advertise on my video?
Will GameFAQs edit my video?
Can I submit video I've already created and posted on other sites?
Can I submit videos I posted to GameFAQs to other sites?
How do I submit a Video?
- To submit a Video Walkthrough, visit http://www.gamefaqs.com/contribute/submit_video_file.php
- To submit a Video Review, visit http://www.gamefaqs.com/contribute/submit_video_review.php
- To submit a other types of Video, visit http://www.gamefaqs.com/contribute/submit_video_other.php