Question from keybladehero15

Asked: 1 year ago

Something weird's going on???

Okay, I'm not sure how to explain this. But, my brother was playing his game, and he was walking around Vermilion City, when he heard Pikachu made a distorted cry, like the one he makes when he faints, but... REALLY distorted. Then, the screen went black, and only static was heard. He shut it off, then turned it back on, and at the title screen, the sound was heard again, but he was able to go to the Main Menu. He clicked Continue, then his game froze. He's had a few problems with the game before, but just freezing, failed start-ups, nothing like this. I tried it, and it did the same thing for me. So, could anybody help us out? If anybody could give us answers about what happened, it would be greatly appreciated.

Additional details - 1 year ago

And I'm sure it's not any normal glitch, because WHY would Pikachu's Faint cry play, and be distorted? And the screen going black, game freezing upon choosing Continue? It doesn't add up.

Additional details - 1 year ago

OK, NOW we got more problems with it. My brother started up his game, and pressed START. It played the Charizard cry, then played the DING-DONG. Then, it started playing the theme that plays whenever somebody is escorting you somewhere, but, like the Pikachu cry from before, distorted. What is going on? This is getting to the point where the game just becomes totally ANNOYING.

Additional details - 1 year ago

He got it brand-new when it first came out. But it's worked perfectly -almost- until now. We already figured it's no normal glitch, but I sort of have a breakthrough. It only does this when he hasn't played the game in a long period of time. And just this morning, I was playing the Red version he gave me, and I was in the 4th Gym. One of the Trainers was using a Bellsprout that kept spamming us with Sleep Powder and Wrap. I switched out my Blastoise with my Arcanine, then with my Raichu, then back to Blastoise. But Blastoise's graphics were MESSED UP and instead of saying Blastoise, it said his name was 'M'. I tried to use an attack, and after our turn, MY GAME CRASHED. I started it up again, and the Game Freak logo appeared, then you hear someone go, "ugh.", red lines appeared on the screen, then it froze. It works fine now, but my point is, I think it has something to do with the games in general, but again. The distorted cries, random SFX, randomly-playing music, and the fact that it does it in general doesn't add up one bit. But, Pendragon, you're right. It's no normal glitch, and we can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. It may be old, but the programming should still be the same as it was all those years ago. He's never used glitches of any kind on it, Missingno., Mew glitch or anything.

Additional details - 1 year ago

Well, time to contact Nintendo, maybe.

Additional details - 10 months ago

He keeps most of his games in a box under his bed, but this is one of those games that he takes care of. His save file is still intact, and I tried to use his game for myself to see what it would do this time, and sure enough, it glitched again, but it did something new. The minute the Game Freak logo appeared, the screen went blank, a display of the Player sprite was seen spinning, and he was heading downwards, and upon reaching the bottom of the screen, he reappeared at the top, and went downward again. A falling sound played, the sound's pitch going lower and lower until the game was turned off. We haven't gotten the game to work since. But that's normal for the thing. Heh, maybe the thing's reached it's limit. But his old Donkey Kong Country game still works perfectly, and it's as old as his Yellow version. Maybe it's something else, I don't know. He said that if he can't play it anymore, he'll just get an emulated version. But I still can't put my finger on why it's doing this. I understand it's old and all, but was the falling sound even in the game?

...Hmm... I'm tempted to use it even more to find anything out. This sort of thing gets my curiosity, and I love glitch hunting. I wonder what it might do next. We haven't tried it with our Game Boy Player on our old Nintendo GameCube yet, so I should try that the next time I get the chance.

Additional details - 10 months ago

It might be best to make this a Board topic. Only problem is, I just started my account, so I don't know how to make a Board Topic.

Additional details - 7 months ago

Well, DragonSlayer, it seems more happened to you than to me. Pikachu never looked angry, but he DID have a bit of a glitchy sprite. And just recently, my brother battled a Trainer after 5 minutes of glitchy start-ups, (yes, it's now more frequent) and the other Trainer sent out a Growlithe that was MAJORLY glitched up on the sprite. And another thing I noticed was that, whenever my brother uses an Escape Rope, his character's sprite IMMEDIATELY changed to the letters, A, B,C, and D. We've grown (sort of) used to the game's glitchiness, but it still really bothers me. I understand that it's a VERY old game, but why start the glitchiness now? I'd imagine it'd happen sooner.

It sounds like a glitch might have happened.

Did you get your game brand new or used? Because there's a chance that someone hacked the game to creep people out with the distorted cries... I don't think that is a normal glitch.

Well, maybe there is just a problem with your copy of the game, because I have the game and I've never experienced these glitches, or anything similar to them. Well, sadly, I don't think you'll find the answer on this website... Maybe you should get it checked out with someone that's good with this sort of thing, like a programmer or something.

This sounds a lot like a damaged or extremely dirty cartridge.

Out of interest, how do you store your game carts - you mention it does this most often when it's not been played in a while.

Maybe its the end-of-life of your cartridge. The Gameboy cartridges lasts about 10-15 years before they wear out.

The hardware itself is rather robust, Topgamer1991 - including the cartridge. It's the save batteries that have a life of 10-15 years (for storing saves only. Games with other battery-draining functions - such as a realtime clock (Pokemon Gold, Silver & Crystal) drain faster, with 6-10 years being the average for those.

Dude that is what just happened to mine!

All of a sudden my team started crying and all of a sudden pikachu dissapeared from behind me and it all turned black. I turned it back on and all that was there was the pikachu looking angry at me. I turned of and tried again and the trainer thingey happened. I came here to see what I could find.

All the cries were distorted too. I freaked out and started crying. That was the first GBC game I ever had......:(