Review by iammaxhailme

"In my opinion, it's an improvment over Red and Blue."

Some people don't think it is though.

The story is the same. You're Red/Ash/Your Name, a newbie trainer who just got his first pokemon. He travels around the Kanto Region, catching new pokemon, defeating trainers, getting badges, enough to enter the pokemon league and become champion. Yay!

The biggest difference in this game compared to red and blue is the starter situation. This includes what you do get, and what you don't get. What you do get is a Pikachu. In this, you don't start with a Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or a Charmander. Nope, you get a Pikachu. It's like in the TV show, also. It just follows you around, and you can talk to it to see it if's happy. So, what does the rival get? In all the other games, before and after Yellow, your rival takes the pokemon that beats your pokemon type-wise. So what does he get in this? A Diglett? Cubone? Nope, he gets an Eevee. And Eevee is special. It has three different evolutions. You sort of get to choose which your rival takes. He can evolve it to Vaporeon, the water Eevee, Jolteon, the Lightning Eevee, or Flareon, the Fire Eevee. It depends on how many times you beat him before the final battle.

Battle physics are still the same. One thing I like better in the later versions is that types advantages are balanced. As in, if your attack is good against one of the opponent's types, and bad against the other, it does normal damage. In this game, it seems to always be bad if it's one good one bad.
But just because you don't get a Charmander, Squirtle, or Bulbasaur in the beginning doesn't mean you can't get one. Yep, this is the only game where you can get all three starters. You get a Charmander from a guy above Cerulean City who doesn't want it, and wants to give it to a nice guy. For some reason, it'll have your ID number. You get Squirtle from a police officer who wants to give it to someone who can control it. And you get Bulbasaur from a sort of Pokemon Orphanage. They're all under leveled when you get them, but leveling them up is easy.

The point of the game is pretty much the same as Red and Blue, though. And you go in the same places. Besides Pikachu/The Three Starters, there aren't many differences, at least in gameplay. A noticeable one is that you can get Nidorans and Mankeys before Brock, and they learn Fighting-type moves early, so Brock becomes easier. Of course, Pikachu likely won't be able to do much damage, but you can use Tail Whip and Growl a lot.

The graphics are a lot different from Red and Blue, and thank god for that. I never liked how in Red/Blue everything was always a shade of Red and Blue. In Yellow, it's more normal. As in, water is actually blue, and grass is green, and people aren't blue or red, etc. Pokemon sprites are better also. Not only are the colors more normal, they also look drawn a little better to me.

The music is the exact same as in Red and Blue. Kiddy Techno stuff that sounds a little like an electric guitar if you think about it. It's fine. The pokemon cries, sound effects, they're all the same. The only difference I can think of is Pikachu. When you talk to it, it says "Pikachu" in a cute voice. It sounds like the voice from the Anime... it might be.

As with all pokemon games, the replay value's pretty good, since you can use a lot of different pokemon, but I'd say the replay value is the best in Gold/Silver/Crystal/Ruby/Sapphire, becasue in those, you can receive an egg in a trade from the very beginning of the game, so you can get a pokemon that's different that what you'd normally be able to get at the beginning, and play through with that. I like doing that, it's fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/21/06