Review by Murk

"Hey, it was addictive, wasn't it?"

Yes, this game was excellent. It was the sheer addiction that this game gave to those who played it that drew me to it in the first place, I guess. What gets a lot of people into this game is the variety that it presents. That, or watching the show. Now, without further ado, here is my opinion on the game.

Now, you can't look at the Pokemon while they are in battle and tell me that the graphics for them suck, especially for their time. They were truly remarkable, considering they were done in the late 90s. The characters themselves on your own side of the battle were not that great, but they passed as recognizable, at the very least.

Sound and Music: 8/10

It's the boss music that I liked. The regular trainer battle music was good, but got repetitive since it was the only battle music you heard against regular trainers/Rockets. It got annoying at some points, but was otherwise alright. If people are annoyed by a game's music, they'd be smart to turn it down or off, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay in battles was awesome. For the time in which they were presented, the attacks came off well. The problem is, most of the attacks look exactly the same, with mere sound effects differing them. That doesn't always do well. Other than that, the in-battle gameplay was well done.

Outside of battle, it was as good as it could have gotten, I suppose. You could either walk or ride a bike around, but you could not ride bikes inside any of the buildings like in GSC and RSE. Still. surfing was fun enough.

Replayability: 10/10

No one plays a Pokemon game only once. They play it multiple times before they are done with it. This holds true for almost every person who plays it. With dozens of different arrangements ingame, you won't be putting down the GameBoy anytime soon.

This is the story that made Pokemon what it is today. A young child starting with his first Pokemon, and then setting out into the world to achieve his goal with the help of his Pokemon -- to become a champion trainer; a Pokemon master. This is what the anime runs by, as well as RBY. It is reused in the later games, but nothing beats the first time experience; unless you start off with later generation games, of course.

There are 151 Pokemon available in the game. You'll have to trade between games to get them all, but that's what adds to the game.

Character Development: 7/10

In this game, you face off against many different types of opponents, from those who merely like to search forests for Pokemon, to organizations who use Pokemon for their own evil deeds. You also face the standard eight Gym Leaders and the Elite Four of the game. You'll be facing a variety of types, so you'll in turn need variety to counter your opponents.

Layout: 7/10

It was truly a strange type of mapping in this game. From forests, to ships, to underground caverns, to underground fortresses, you'll be doing a lot of exploring in this game.

Evaluation:
Character Development - 7/10
Layout - 7/10

Final Score (NOT Average) - 8/10

Rent? Buy?

I recommend that you buy it, as #1) you won't get much out of renting it, as it takes at least a few days to beat the main story if you are a newcomer to the game, and #2) it's too damned fun to rush.

Reviewer's Closing Commentary

It was a good game, no doubt about that, especially for its time. Some areas were... well, they could have been better, but the game still presented you will some good times, so count yer blessings, I say!

Well, that's everything. See you in my next review!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/07