Review by Brak

"Bad idea on Nintendo's behalf"

Yep. I'm the first one to give Pokemon Yellow a 4, and I'm probably the only one that will. You confused why I would give this game a 4? Read on to find out!

The graphics on the overhead view are the same as the previous versions, but in the battles, the opposing Pokemon are much cooler looking than before! The only complaint is that it doesn't make use of the fact that the Gameboy Color's many different colors.

That annoying music that gives you a headache is still here. The few good tunes from Red/Blue are also here, such as Route 1. The sound effects are pretty good for the Gameboy, though.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fun. The reason it gets a 4 is because it only came out a YEAR after Red/Blue came out, with very minor changes. Oh wait, there's one new Pokemon in this game. Whoopee. No use of the Gameboy Color's abilities also takes it down. Re-releasing Link's Awekening was a much better idea than re-releasing Pokemon because even though the changes were minor, Link's Awekening was released 5 years after the orginal was released instead of ONE year, and it was getting a little harder to find. Also, it uses the Gameboy Color's capabilities very well. And another thing, who doesn't own Pokemon Red or Blue? With such minor changes, why would anyone want to get Yellow as well? Red and Blue can be found ANYWHERE!

The challenge hasn't changed from the other games. Getting all of the Pokemon is a very good challenge that will keep you occupied for a while. However, haven't you already caught 'em all in the previous versions?

The replay depends on whether or not you've played the other versions. If you have, no replayability. If you have, there's lots.

Only get it if you're one of the few who haven't played Red or Blue.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 05/27/00, Updated 05/27/00