Review by JENISAMAZING

"Incredible"

What this review is all about
Well... I've been reading reviews on the original pokemon games, and I'm really disappointed, by all of the biased opinions on this game. Ok... I'll be honest with you. I LOVE this game. I do. I always have. It just brings back memories. Its a classic. I'm going to write a review for those who have never played the game because that's who reviews are supposed to be for. And also, I'm going to avoid making this review sound like a walkthrough.

Introduction

Pokemon Red, and Pokemon Blue...That's how it started here in America. About around the year of 1998. Much hype, a TV show, a trading card game, toys, underwear followed these games, everything you can imagine. But lets forget about all that. And lets forget about the PITIFUL Pokemon games that were to follow the release of the Yellow version. Now, we shall begin.

Graphics

The graphics SUCKED. They were terrible. Lets face it. They were good for GameBoy, however, but I'm reviewing the GAME, so that's why the graphics will get the score they rightfully deserve. In the over world, the graphics were terrible. The only real feature it had was that flowers swayed back and forth in the wind. And, in battle mode, the graphics were a bit better, but still have no bragging rights. The opposition sprite looks mildly appealing, some are rather cute, but the WORST part of this game graphically, was the rear view of your pokemon. All you got was a pixilated image of your monster. For a GameBoy game, I would have to give this an 8/10, but this is an overall review, so...I have no choice but to give it this score, which it deserves.

Graphics:0/10

Story

Not really even much to say here. Another low score, I haven't yet decided yet. You start out as a 10-year-old boy. Not 'Ash Ketchum'. That's Yellow version. Your name is supposed to be 'Red' or 'Blue' depending on your version.... well, as I was saying, your journey is in the region of Kanto. Your goal is to earn 8 gym badges by reaching and defeating 8 gym leaders, that in return give you their respective badges, which 1 enable you to control stronger pokemon you get in trades. or 2 Power up your pokemon's stats, or 3 Allow you to use an HM or "hidden machine" outside of battle to travel faster or open up new routes to progress in the game. After you collect all 8 badges, your goal shifts to defeating the 'Elite 4' at the 'Pokemon League' The elite 4 are a group of trainers (obviously four trainers), that you must defeat to become the Pokemon champion. Once you defeat them, you become the Pokemon champion. Not yet a Pokemon master. There is one more task for you to accomplish before you earn that title. You must catch all 151 beasts! All in all it has a fairly good yet odd story.

Fun Factor

Pokemon Red and Blue should definitely score high here. This is the most enjoyable, and addicting game I have ever played. Hands down. You can play this game for 24 hours straight, and not get bored with it. It's truly amazing. It is an all around fun game.

Fun Factor: 10/10

Music

I will split up music and sound into 2 different categories, because I have seen that done in many other reviews. Ok...the music in these games... you either love it or you hate it. Based on my opinion, I'd give it a 10/10, but that's just me. It's my job to review it. Not just give my opinion. This could be a 10/10 for you, or a 0/10. It could go either way. I find most tracks to be mildly entertaining. Based on this, so far I have come to the conclusion of a 5/10 score. BUT... the tracks CAN get repetitive, if you stay in the same spot for a while. Or if you are riding your 'bike' it can get repetitive. So that would lower the score down to a 4/10, but the tracks change in every town so I'll give it a + 2.5 which give it its grade.

Music: 6.5/10 rounded to 7/10

Sound

Other than music, there's not much to say here. Each individual monster has his very own cry. That's 151 different monsters. Each battle move has a sound. A few moves share the same sound. When you walk into a wall, the game makes a weird sound I'm not sure how to explain. For a GameBoy game, I give it a 10/10, but you know what I must do.

Sound:0/10

Controls

One word describes the controls to this game. Simple. It's very simple. As the GameBoy is for most games. Scores well here.

Controls: 10/10

Difficulty

It's fairly easy. I will review this as 1 being hardest, and 10 being easiest. The in game quest of beating the Elite four, is definitely a 9 or even a 10, catching all the pokemon... I'll give that an 8. So... This is a fairly easy game to conquer. Besides the fact that you must trade via link cable with another game pack to catch all 151 monsters. But, that's not really al that difficult. Score a 10 here.

Difficulty: 10/10...EASY AS PIE

Game play

How much cooler can this game get? Its an RPG for one, which makes it a great game right away. You capture, and train 151 different monsters, that all have strengths and weaknesses and different move sets to try, and the battle chart is just amazing. Wow.

Replay Ability

You'll absolutely want to play this game again. You get sucked in about 30 min. into the game, and once you beat it, you'll want to do it all over again with a different team of monsters. The possibilities are endless with all of the possible teams and move sets you can use.

Replay Ability: 10/10

Glitches

A category I have not yet seen used in a review yet. But, I believe that, with this game especially, this category is a must-have for a complete review. This game contains the most glitches of any game I have ever played. A Game Shark is totally unneeded with this game.

Glitchiness:0/10

Rent or Buy?

No needs to even discuss this. Just buy it.

Overall

These games started a franchise that may never fall. Overall I give this game a 10/10, but obviously, that is not an average. So, I'll give you my final score as well as the average.

Overall (average): 6.2/10 rounds of to 6/10.

My PERSONAL opinion

Notice I marked of a total new section for this portion. And I put it at the END. Because there are some of you who are NOT going to care. In my opinion, this is the #1 best video game of all time. Score 10/10 from me. Now... I'm going to briefly rate the rest of the series.
G/S/C:0/10
R/S/E:0/10
Fr/Lg:6/10

Final Word

All right. I have just completed the 1st review I have ever written. The final score is to follow, because I'm just not happy with giving this game a 6/10.

FINAL SCORE: 10/10

Just an amazing game. If you don't own it yet, then buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/06