Review by BostonFuse51

"Pikachu, use your thunderbolt attack!"

Pokeomon Red was the first game for the game boy ever. I got it when I was approximately 9 years old. To this day I still play it from time to time. The clarity of everything in this game is spectacular, and I just think this game is the best game for the game boy. Here is why I adore this game.

Story 9/10
The story in this game is expressed as a 10-year-old boy named Ash (you can name him whatever you would like), is ready to begin his pokemon journey. You get ready to leave heading north when suddenly who else abruptly stops you but an old family friend professor Oak. He says it is dangerous to wonder around with out protection. He then brings you back to his laboratory and lets you choose one of his three pokemon. They are Bulbasaur the grass pokemon, charmander the fire pokemon, and squirtle the water pokemon. You choose then your rival Gary chooses your weakness, you battle, and you’re on the road of your journey to be a pokemon master!

Graphics 10/10
The graphics in this game are exquisite. During your journey, you may see many things, like more pokemon, trainers, ect, ect. These things are clear, and will have you thinking you’re the main character, and that you are in the game. The other thing I would like to focus on in this section is the pokemon attacks. They are awesome, and look unbelievably realistic. The things that stand out the most in the section are listed below.

1. Easy to see characters, and pokemon.

2. Awesome pokemon attacks that look realistic.

Game Play 10/10
I honestly think that the game play is the best thin in this game. Going around trying to make the ultimate team is a real adventure, and you will love it guaranteed. Playing this game is addictive as Rharrison said. If you were wondering (I thought I should put this in this section) the object of this game is to go around forming the best pokemon team you can fight trainers, get money, and beat gym leaders. Then after you beat all 8-gym leaders, you go to the elite four. If you beat every trainer there, you go back to the city where you got your second badge, and enter a cave where you can catch the ultimate pokemon Mewtwo.

Music and Sound
This is a section I would like to break down into sub-sections.

Music 8/10
The music in this game is good but not near as good as the other sections. The music in this game is better than ruby, and sapphire, but worse than gold/silver/crystal. It is still great, and soon enough once you are comfortable with the game, you will soon be making up your own little words to go with each song.

Sound 10/10
The sound in this game is another excellent feature. There isn’t much to say about this section accept that whenever a pokemon attacks, it is a clear and mind-blowing sound.

Controls 10/10
The controls in this game are used this way:

The directional pad- to move options, and to walk around.

The A button- used to confirm something.

The B button- use to disconfirm something, and to go back.

Start Button- used to show the options at any time your not in a battle during a game.

Replay Ability 8/10
The replay ability in this game is fun, but after maybe…5 times, it gets to be a little tedious. But five times is still worth the around 20 dollars you will pay (sense the game has been out for a while)

Buy or Rent: Buy
No matter what other pokemon games you have, you should run out of your house, and buy this game!

Overall 10/10
This game is awesome! It’s fun for all ages, and will have you playing all day, and then when you put it down, you cannot resist, and will pick up your game boy and play some more. Through the combination of the story, graphics, game play, music, and sound this game is a 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/04, Updated 03/30/04