Review by Dude Love Fan

"It seems it was passed over for blue..."

Introduction:
Oh, the days when pokemon reigned above everything. What was that, 6 years ago? I was a whole lot less mature, and loved my Pokemon. Of course it wasn't until now I actually owned the game. But I must say it is a nice trip down memory lane. This is game where I remember all of the Pokemon. The good old 150. I can get into a random battle in this game and not wonder, what the heck is that. This is my kind of Pokemon.

I must say these are very nice for a handheld, the colors look nice(assuming you have a Super Gameboy or a Gameboy color). And on the Super Gameboy they look FANTASTIC, really good stuff. I think it is best described as a 12 bit look, not quite 16, but still better than 8. You can tell each pokemon apart, and even though the trainer characters were reused, they still look really good.

This is a true RPG through and through, although it may have a liberal smattering of Cute on top. You have 150 possible pokemon to catch, you can have 6 on you at any given time, the rest are put in storage. As in classic RPG style, each pokemon has an element, which you can use to your advantage usually. For example, Water is good against fire, but bad against grass. The overused analogy of rock paper scissors seems to work best here...

Considering it is coming from a Gameboy it is pretty good. The title screen music is as catchy as it gets, in fact I like to annoy people with it :) Although this is a rather short synopsis... Sound=Very Good.

Overall the game is a lot of fun, I personally think it has the portable RPG genre in it's clutches, with little competition. This is old school pokemon, like it was when it debuted...

Conclusion:
I know I probably sound weird for ranting about the difference in old school and new school pokemon, much in the same way I argue about country music(that is another story). But I can't blame the developers for keeping the series fresh, and I honestly haven't watched the show in so long I couldn't even begin to tell you what is going on in the series these days. In conclusion, if you liked Pokemon at one time or another, pick up Red for a great ''RPG on the move'' experience.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/04