Review by rpgDragon

"An RPG for all ages"

Ahhhh, the original Pokemon. Many memories are behind this game, so I think it deserves a review.

There really isn't many games with easier gameplay than this. All you have to do is select your move and the Pokemon do the rest. So simplistic, even five year-olds can understand this game. The gameplay is also extremely addicting. You will be itching to level up your Pokemon so they can learn new attacks. But probably what was given this game such great gameplay is the Process of Evolution. When certain Pokemon reach certain levels, they evolve into an entirely new Pokemon. This alone, probably could have made the game popular.

The game is great, but the graphics are not. There is not much that can be done on a Game Boy, let alone an RPG on Game Boy. The Pokemon are animated ok, but outside of battle, the graphics are terrible. But the cute animations of all 151 Pokemon are still cute to look at. The graphics are probably the only fault in Pokemon.

The battle tunes are unforgettable. You WILL hear them in your sleep. They are cheerful, catchy, and stick with you 'till the end. My personal favorite is the tune of the final battle.

Replay: 10/10
This game might have the greatest replay value ever. With 151 Pokemon to catch, it will take you a long time to catch them all. You will strive to create the ultimate Pokemon because you can increase their stats. Also, it is impossible to catch all 151 on one game. You need to connect your Pokemon Red to a Pokemon Blue or a Pokemon Yellow to get all 151. You can also connect to Gold, Silver, and Crystal but it is very hard to. With all these connections, all these Pokemon, all these objectives, and all these games, Pokemon Red will never get old.

Gameplay: 10
Graphics: 6
Sound: 8
Replay: 10
Overall: 8.5 (9)

Final Notes:
Overall, Pokemon is an amazing game. My review added up to 8.5, but I believe this game truly deserves a 9.5. It is the most addicting game on Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance, and it still stands there. Once you start playing Pokemon, you can not stop. Pokemon Red/Blue was a revolution in handheld gaming and is still making an impact. If you are one of those gamers who did not play Pokemon, you are a minority. And I hope this review had convinced you otherwise.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/04