"Dude, this game invented RPGs!"

Back in the day, RPGs were so dull and boring as to be considered cr@ppy, and that just might even include the Zelda series. But little did the world know that a small company called Game Freak was hard at work creating what is considered one of the greatest RPGs the gaming world has ever known. That game would go on to release even more games of its kind--so many more, in fact, that many people today put it in its own genre. It would also go on to be one of the most worldly recognized and well-known RPGs of our time. I am speaking of none other than ''Pocket Monsters Red'' (''Pokemon Red'' to the rest of the world).

The name of the game is simple in Pokemon. Catch 'em, train 'em, battle 'em, and use 'em to rise above the rest.

You start out as a boy who has just attempted to venture out on his own. Suddenly, you hear a voice: ''Hey! Wait! Don't go out!'' You turn around to find that it is Professor Oak, the local Pokemon researcher. ''It's unsafe!'' he says, ''Wild Pokemon live in tall grass! You need your own Pokemon for your protection.'' He suddenly gets an idea. ''I know! Here, come with me!'' He takes you to his laboratory, not too far away. Here, he will give you your first Pokemon. Little do you know that you and your Pokemon will team up to battle trainers, stop evil, and rise to become the champions of the world. Your story starts now...

Controls: 10/10
You practically use the + Pad to walk around, and A to talk and interact. Though in battle, it's completely different; use the + Pad to scroll through options, and press A to choose.

Sound/Music: 10/10
This contains some great music--so great that I sometimes find that a particular tune is stuck in my head and almost difficult to get out. The same just might happen to you. Yes, the music is that great.

Difficulty: ???
Apparently, this is a toughie. It will vary depending on the person.

Playability: 10/10
The game is very easy to get into, and extremely easy to get hooked on. You'll possibly find yourself playing this game until your battery runs dry, and then again after you put in some new ones.

Pokemon. That's the word that put RPG in the English dictionary, as well as put Nintendo on the map. Out of this game rose lots of popularity, including a television series that is still on the air today, on both the WB network and just recently (about a year ago, that is) Cartoon Network. Though you may outgrow the cartoon, I guarantee that you will never outgrow the game. Story short, ''Pokemon'' is the video game series that no Game Boy owner should be without.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/10/04