Review by headbanger

"The Gold/Silver version is better, but this game is still fun."

Introduction
Ah, yes, Pokemon. In the late 90s and in the first few years of the new millennium, this craze captured most kids in elementary school's attention. One of the big things about the craze was the video game.

Graphics
The graphics aren't really anything special. The game is in black and white, which might bug you a bit. During the battle, the character's graphic can be rather chunky at times, which, if you're expecting a lot better, is annoying. If graphics don't bug you at all, then you should be fine here. 5/10

Music and Sounds
The music for this game is really nothing special at all. Same with the sounds. After all, it is a rather old GameBoy game. You might just want to turn the sounds off, as, after playing the game for a long time consecutively, they start to become really annoying. Either way it won't really matter. The sounds definitely don't make the game, and Pokemon is no exception to that. 5/10

Gameplay
The gameplay for this game is simply classic now. You get plenty of chances in the beginning of the game to get the hang of it, and that's something that helps. Of course, that doesn't really matter, as the game is really easy to pick up on. 9/10

Fun Level
Ah, yes. This is where Pokemon scores big. This is why the game became so darn popular to begin with. To put it mildly, this game is so much fun. Like most RPGs, it's really addictive. I found myself always making excuses to avoid doing chores and keep playing this game. This game is simple, effective, and everything else. It's also popular, so you can link with a friend who has the game and trade/battle with them.
There's really no way to say how much fun I've had playing this game. It's the kind of thing where you just have to try it out for yourself.10/10

Replay Value
This game also has an above-average replay value. I find myself able to come back to this game time after time and play it all the way through again. There's always new things to try, and, even after you beat the game, you can still try to train your party until they all are at level 100, which is rather time consuming. There are also many ways to "hack" this game with a GameShark (and several ways without one), which is always entertaining. 8/10

Red vs. Gold/Silver/Yellow/Blue
There are several different Pokemon versions out for the GameBoy [Color], and you might be confused as to which is the best. Here's a quick run-down:
Blue - The Blue version is completely identical to the Red version. However, just as there are Pokemon that can be found in the Red version but not the Blue, there are some Pokemon that can be found in the Blue version that can't be found in the Red. It really doesn't matter which you get, and, unless you really really want to get all 151 Pokemon these games offer, you shouldn't get both.
Yellow - In the Yellow version, you start the game with a Pikachu, and it follows you everywhere. All 150 Pokemon are not available in the Yellow version, and there are some other differences between the Pokemon you find and the battles you fight in the Yellow version. The Yellow version is a bit more complex, but it is in color. All in all, I don't think the Yellow version is as good as the Blue/Red.
Gold/Silver - The Gold version is to the Silver version as the Red version is to the Blue: They pretty much go together. In these two versions, there are 100 new Pokemon, and a whole new world for you to explore. The game is longer, and the graphics are better. I would advise getting one of these over Red or Blue, but the choice is really yours.

Overall
I think this game is still quite a bit of fun to play, no matter how out-dated it is. Even though I happen to think Pokemon is a rather stupid fad, this game is still a lot of fun, and I'm glad I bought it. All in all, this is a good game, but I would recommend the Gold or Silver version over this. But this is not a bad game by any means.

8/10