Review by peach freak

"The game that started the Pokemon world..."

Well, Pokemon Red and Blue were the two games that started Pokemon. They turned out to be excellent.

Story
Starting in your room, you are sent to see Professor Oak. He finds you in the wild grass and you follow him to his lab. You meat Gary, your rival there and you choose one of 3 starting Pokemon, and then Gary chooses his starter (who's type will always have an advantage to yours).

The graphics don't look that good, but they are still easy to see and they are pretty bright. The people look pretty good and most of the Pokemon look fairly well, and the backgrounds still look good. So the graphics are OK.

The gameplay at the beginning isn't that good, because you get weak attacks like "Tackle", and "Scratch". But as you progress through the game, it gets more fun and better. You catch Pokemon and level them up to have them become stronger and better, and you can evolve them as well. You go around Kanto collecting 8 badges to get to the Pokemon League. Also, you can have up to 6 Pokemon in your team, and if you use TMs and HMs correctly, your Pokemon can have the best moves in the game. Also, you battle trainers to level up and strengthen your Pokemon.

There are also different Pokemon types in the game, like fire, water, grass, ice, electric, and so on. Each have advantages and disadvantages (like fire is strong against grass but weak against water), so don't load your roster with 3+ Pokemon of the same type.

If you also have a friend who has a Game Boy, this game (or Pokemon Blue or Yellow), and a Game Boy Link Cable, you can link up to trade Pokemon or battle each other with your Pokemon. You can use the trading to get Pokemon that can't be found in the game or to evolve certain Pokemon, and to get Pokemon on your Pokedex for fun. In battle, you can fight your friend or whoever with your best Pokemon to see who's better and so fourth. Battle can be really fun.

Sound Effects: 10/10
The sound effects in this game are awesome. Most sound effects sound realistic like when you use an electric attack it sounds like electricity. Also when you or a trainer sends out a Pokemon they make a "cry", a sound effect they make, and I like most of the cries Pokemon make, and I think some of them are awesome. This game has great sounds.

Music: 9/10
The music in this game is pretty good as well. I like the music of some cities, and I really think the music in the gyms are great. The battle music is also pretty good, and I think some music is funny as well, but I don't like the music used in some routes of the game.

Replayability: 6/10
I don't like the replayability of this game that much because if you have a full Pokedex or if you love your roster so much, then I wouldn't suggest starting over, because I wouldn't want to do it all over again. Or if you want to replay this game with different Pokemon or for other reasons then go ahead, but it's still fun playing the game.

Rent or Buy?
I would say go out and buy this game. It's an awesome game worth playing that started a Pokemon world. This game is my first RPG I've played and this is what got me into a few other RPG games.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/26/04