Review by MoeBear

"Big Pokemon fan, but this game is too long"

I hate to say anything bad about the pokemon, but come on people was it really necessary for such long playtime? Don't get me wrong I loved this game at first and kind of still do, but had to put it down after 18 hours of game play, and I only got 4 badges, and four more to go? Thats kind of silly to me.

For a game which was made about 10 years ago, it is not bad at all, I like it. I can't wait to see how the New Pokemon plays like, I mean the Advance SP pokemon game. The graphics aren't great, but the game play is good, the story is just like the cartoons. You are Ash or you could give yourself a different name. You start out with nothing, and work you way up to hundreds of pokemon, which ain't no easy task, and you need to bring them up to high levels which takes tons of time, and boy do you need lots of patience. When you get to the later boards, all you do is fight trainers every two steps you take, of bump into wild pokemon. So basically the main thing here is fight 80% of the time.

Don't get me wrong if your a person which has lots of time to spend and enjoy pokemon, and battling over and over again, and growing up in levels and getting better attacks, and finding and training new pokemon over and over again, its awesome! But for me, sorry a hand held game should not be that long to me. It is also a lot like role playing games, you have to decide which direction to go, which road to take, a few problem solving is required to get to next levels. Like getting the bike, which I thought was great cause it speed up things a bit, but not enough for me. There is some thinking required. One day I'll pick up again, and start where I left off, its not complicate to learn or to continue after a long time.

It is also really fascinating how they managed to put so many characters, or should I say pokemon in one game. Its not a bad game to buy it and put it in your collection, for playing time here and there, cause as the years go by, its going to be almost impossible to find game boy games. I got it over the internet for about 9 bucks, so it wasn't a bad deal, but if I had to pay 30-40 bucks for this now, I would be kicking my self later. Maybe when if first game out in the early 90s it was big, I don't know, cause I just started playing game boy games now, and its kind of hard for me to give a game a good rating if you don't finish it.

Ok, lets get to the bottom line, if you like RPG, long playing hours of same thing over and over, building up your characters, for strong and better fights later on, this is for you, but don't get your hopes up, I did at first with the couple of few hours, I said" what a great game", and after 18 hours I said, ok, enough already, when am I going to make some progress?

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 03/06/06