Review by Kraas

"One of the better Gameboy RPGs."

Final Fantasy Adventure was released in 1991 for the Nintendo Gameboy. I think it is one of the better Gameboy RPGs. What some people do not know about this game is that it is actually a part of the Seiken Densetsu series.

Gameplay: Final Fantasy Adventure does very well here. The battle system is Zelda-like, but with several differences. Our hero has an impressive array of weapons at his disposal. The most useful, in my opinion, are the swords, spears, and the Morning Star. At the bottom of the screen is a gauge, which fills by itself over time. When it is full, the hero can perform a special attack with the equipped weapon (e.g., charge with the sword, throw the spear). I found this feature a bit frivolous in some of the boss battles, but it is useful against groups of enemies. The magicks help some, and a few of them are required to solve dungeon puzzles. NPCs will join the hero from time to time, and they will battle alongside him. When you select the ASK command, they will do certain things, such as sell you items, heal you, give you information, and other things.

Story: The story is pretty basic. The Empire of Glaive is trying to take over the world with the power of Mana, and you must stop them. The hero starts out in a gladiator battle, and has to fight a monster. Afterwards, he returns to the dungeons, to find his friend Willy nearly dead. The hero vows to avenge Willy, and it goes on from there. Not a lot of character development, but there are a few emotional scenes. This seems like a dark game to me, since most of the people the hero meets die. I’m not sure where to place this game in the Seiken Densetsu series; personally, I think it is between SD3 and Secret of Mana, right after the Mana Fortress War.

Music: The musical score is exceptionally good. The overworld theme, “Endless Battlefields”, is an awesome tune. The town and title screen themes are also good. I think Final Fantasy Adventure has one of the best soundtracks the Gameboy has to offer.

Graphics: Not as good as say, Pokemon or Link’s Awakening, but not crappy. The monster animation could have been better, though; it's also hard to tell where some enemies actually are when they are jumping, or moving around, which gets frustrating. The backgrounds are nicely done.

Overall, I give this game a 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/21/00, Updated 12/21/00