Review by MKnightt

"Ranks right up there with Zelda DX, even at its age."

Ah. Final Fantasy Adventure. The first game of the Seiken Densetsu series (FF Adventure, Secret of Mana, Secret of Mana 2, Legend of Mana...). Being the first of such a series must mean that the first game was great for 1991, right? Yes, indeed. But not just that time; it's still one of the best games on the Game Boy today.

Gameplay - 10/10

Traditional adventure RPG hack and slash, complete with magic spells, many items, tons of monsters, dungeons galore, a couple towns here and there, several weapons, and plenty of fields just waiting to be explored. With all of this variety, FF Adventure was a fun game throughout; not once did I feel the urge to put the game away for a long period of time. If you like Zelda, you probably will also enjoy FF Adventure. You play as your usual nameless hero, who is a slave of the evil empire, Glaive. You and many others must defeat monsters every single day in order to earn... well... your survival, basically. I don't want to ruin too much of the game, so let's just put it this way; it involves the mana tree (should be familiar if you've played Secret of Mana), which promises ultimate strength, a young male warrior, and a villian very similar to Kefka of Final Fantasy III/VI fame. This game also features level ups after you defeat a certain amount of enemies for each experience level, and you choose to make your largest update with each improvement from one out of four catergories; Power, Wisdom, Will, or Stamina. My only complaint is that I don't think there's a way out of the final dungeon once you enter it, though I'm not positive.

Graphics - 9/10

Neat looking spells and weapons, tons of floating, jumping, deadly (... and cute? the heck?) monsters, and great looking surroundings make FFA's graphics great. What else is there to say? For 1991, FFA's visuals don't show much age (Imagine if they remade them for the Game Boy Color. Drool, indeed).

Sound - 10/10

From the field songs to the cave musics, the sounds for this game are top notch. When you are hit with the Darkness status ailment (in which you can't see), a track plays that really matches the emotion of despair. ... And don't get me started on the boss music. There's just nothing to complain about, here. Flawless, superbly delivered, whatever you want to call it... this game's music rocks. Period.

Replay - 9/10

Well, there isn't enough in this game to make you come back right away, but over a period of a couple months, you'll crave to play the game again. If you like your Legend of Zelda, enjoyed Secret of Mana, and crave some hack-and-slash, Final Fantasy Adventure is the game for you.

How many $$$, o' lord Carey?

How much do you have? Spend as much as you have to and would spend on any game boy game. Period.

Overall - 38/40; 9.5/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/00, Updated 03/12/00