Review by BTrent

"An Excellent Game Despite Bad Reviews"

To begin with, you shouldn't believe all of the bad things you've probably heard about this game by the time you read this review. It definitely does have its problems: the graphics are very low quality, the game is very short, and the battle system is a bit restrictive; but the positive aspects of this game more than make up for all of this.
Some people say that this isn't a true Final Fantasy game, but I have to disagree with these people. It is true that in Japan the game was called SaGa, and that it is really the first game in the SaGa series of games that includes SaGa 1, 2, and 3 on the Gameboy, Romancing SaGa 1, 2, and 3 on the SNES, and the SaGa Frontier games on Playstation (which I hear suck), but what also is true is that this game was produced by the same team that produced all the Final Fantasy games for Square, and that it even features music written by the infamous Nobuo Uematsu, who wrote the music for the other Final Fantasy games (no wonder I've always loved the soundtrack so much!). This IS a Final Fantasy game.
There are many differing opinions on the value of FFL, though, and that's a difficult fact to avoid. The reason for this is probably that the worth of this game doesn't lie in exactly the same places as in the Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games that attracted such a huge fanbase. It doesn't have the beautiful graphics or sweeping soundtrack that its successors were lucky enough to boast. The music is wonderful, but in MIDI. The character design is excellent, but in 8 bit graphics. The worth of Final Fantasy Legend is the storyline, and I guess the music too if you can manage to get into the MIDI sound (which I can, and do).
The storyline in FFL is excellent. You control a band of adventurers which have to climb through a mysterious tower at the center of the world that is controlled by a dark force. Some doors lead to staircases, some lead to rooms filled with strange people and fantasitical creatures, and some doors lead to other worlds where it is your job to free the inhabitants from the oppressions that they suffer because of the fiends that control the tower. When you beat each of the bosses (which are modeled after the four Deva kings of buddhism), you get a crystal (which was renamed to ''sphere'' in the English version for some reason) which allows you do break through barriers barring your progress through the tower. The higher up the tower you go, the more powerful the enemies become, and the more entangling the mystery. All the answers lie at the top of the tower, if you can somehow manage to make it that far.
FFL was the first role playing game I ever played, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. It was my favorite game for a pretty long time, until I discovered the masterpieces that later came out for the Super Nintendo. If you're a younger player, or if you haven't been corrupted by the beautiful graphics and sound that are available in today's games and you can still enjoy an excellent rpg that doesn't have movie quality FMV, then you owe it to yourself to check out Final Fantasy Legend -- you just might be pleastantly surprised.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/01, Updated 06/18/01