Review by MegaPowerNinja

"A great game. A must play."

Pre-Review: This was one of my first Final Fantasy games. I've had this game for about 10 or 11 years now and I find myself still playing through it every now and then and enjoying it just as much each and every time. For some reason, it never gets old to me, and many people I know who have played it agree. It is one of the cornerstones of our Final Fantasy fanaticism.

Graphics: Graphics are pretty decent compared to other Gameboy titles of its time, Many of the monster graphics will never be out of my mind and I always loved how the final boss appeared. Can't say any more about that without 'spoilers'. Weapon animations were simple and not flashy like other FF Games, but again this is Gameboy were talking about so I'm not going to hold it against them. There was a nice variety in the sprites and throughout the game and even now I still remember what each and every one looks like down to the smallest detail. SCORE: 5/5

Music: You know a game has good music when you just leave it sit and listen to the music for hours on end. The score is one of the best I have ever heard. This game features music that I find myself humming to this very day. There are so many great themes in this game such as: Battle, Boss, Tower, and Sadness. Nobou Uematsu is a genius and a master at his craft.
Even now, the Creator theme is running through my head. I strongly recommend downloading Meridian and the .GBS file.
Final Fantasy games have never left me disappointed when it comes to music.
SCORE: 5/5

Controls: N/A

Replay Value: I can't quite put my finger on this, but there is something about this title that makes you want to play it over and over again, even though it is the same every single time. Maybe its just the overall quality of the game itself.

Difficulty: This really depends on what party you pick. Certain combinations make the game easy, others make it nearly impossible. Although close to the end of the game it will become very difficult no matter what your lineup is. I will defy ANYONE to make it all the way through this game with a party of 4 monsters. SCORE: 5/5

Overall: This game is an instant classic. Choose your heroes from a range of Humans(warriors) to Mutants(Mages) to monsters(who can transform by eating the meat of fallen foes) Your combination will have a great impact on the difficulty of the game. Each class of characters grow stronger in their own way. In all cases, if you want the ultimate party you're going to have to put some time into it.

Its great music, graphics playability and fun factor make this title one to remember. Anyone who claims to be a Final Fantasy fan cannot say so if they haven't played this one. Its a bit more obscure but one of the best out there.
SCORE: 10/10

Misc Factors:

Addiction Factor: 4/5 Can be frustrating at times but you can't put it down easily. I've spent many nights throughout the years playing until my eyes closed and the GameBoy fell from my hands. (didn't save! nooooo!)

Story: Simple story, original and hasn't been imitated in any way. Can't go into it without spoilers.

Character Development: N/A

Buy this? By all means. I cannot stress enough. If you are a Final Fantasy fan you MUST MUST own this game. I suggest checking at your local video game trade in store (private businesses usually get their hands on the rarer stuff and hold it longer.) Failing that, try E-Bay. Do whatever it takes.

Also Suggested: Final Fantasy Legend II, Final Fantasy Adventure. Hopefully I will post reviews on both of these titles soon.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/24/04