Review by Nivla

"One of the best time killers available........and only that"

When going on road trips, or just a long car ride, be sure to bring your Gameboy along. But what games? Hmm. That's a brain buster. One of the best games you could bring to kill some time is Kirby's Dreamland. Released a long time ago, this game is perhaps the best short game you can get (a video game equivilant of a short story).

The story of Kirby's Dreamland is a simple one. King Dedede, who's the bad guy, is being chased by our hero, Kirby, who is out to save the day! A very simple story indeed, but hey, it's a quick game designed to kill time, no time for a deep plot here.

The gameplay is simple. This game is a sidescrolling platform game. Which means your basic jumping and stuff. But Kirby's main weapon is inhaling enemies and spitting them out. That, perhaps, is one of the weirdest, yet coolest weapons in all video games. Kirby can also enhale special items that allows him to spit fire and other cool stuff. In addition to that, Kirby can fly (which sometimes make the game a little too easy because you can just basically fly over everything in the first couple of levels. Each level you have to fight a sub boss and a main boss at the end (with the exception of the last level). The downside to the game is the length. It's quite short. The average player takes about 20-35 minutes to complete. As for the controlls, not hard at all. A jump button, a inhale/spit button, a movement button and that's basically it. The challenge is another downside. It is way too easy. Even after you've unlocked the harder mode. Although the additional mode is much harder, the overall difficulty of it is low. The average player can probably finish the extra difficulty within a couple of tries.

The graphics are average, but I guess it was pretty good at the time of release. It gives a sharp image as to what is going on. There is no need to squint your eyes to tell what is going on. Also, you can play this in darker conditions then the average game, I'm not sure why, but that's what I've found out through first hand experiance. The audio is fairly good. The tunes that go with the levels are pretty catchy. And the other sound effects are fairly well done. Everything from the Kirby's inhaling power, to an enemy inpaling Kirby, it's all good.

The fun factor is extremely high on your first time through the game. And slowly deminishes as you play it over and over again. But if you put the game away for a long long while, then it goes back up again. It all depends on the time interval between the time you play it. The replay value is quite high. Since this is a time killer, you'll want to play this over and over again on road trips, or on the airplane. But outside of those conditions, I don't think you'll want to play it too much.

Overall, this is a pretty good game. A very effective time killer. It's worth a buy. Besides, you can always use it for those lonely nights.......I suppose......

FINAL RANKINGS: