Review by Snow Dragon

"Unrivaled Game Boy enjoyment right here!"

I got this game for my 13th birthday from my brother. Good move, boy .... good move. This game has a fun factor that is through the roof for a Game Boy title and a playful craziness that can be seen only in Nintendo titles like Super Mario Brothers 2 and 3. As far as adventure titles go, they don't come much more fun-packed than this.

Story: 8
It's not the most original, but it's told in such a way and expounded upon throughout the rest of the story that it garners this rating from me. Link is battling white-capped waves and brutal lightning out on the open sea, struggling desperately to keep his masts up. All of a sudden, a bolt of lightning rains straight down on him, and fade to white ...... and then to a beach where his unconscious body is found by the cutie pie Marin. And his story begins. The story unfolds nicely through mediums ranging from ancient texts to the highly annoying Hoot the owl.

Controls: 10
Them good folks at Nintendo sure can throw a bunch of functions into a system with a total of eight buttons. Walking and jumping are fluid, and you can assign tools to either A or B. You can put interesting combinations together in such a way that can help you, say, fight swift bosses or allow you to creatively cross chasms. Using the sword is better than ever, and you can do all sorts of things with Link in this game that aren't nearly as fun to try out in other Zelda games. Slick stuff.

Sound: 10
Music in this game fits every occasion the Nintendo minds could have thought of: a healthy, nice-sounding version of the original Zelda theme on the world map, spooky music in dungeons, upbeat music in towns, and the like. Such beautiful songs crammed into so little memory .... I'll never be able to grasp the magnitude of something like that.

Challenge: 8
All right, you're not exactly going to go bonkers over some of the early puzzles, but they get downright irritating in later areas like the Face Palace and Eagle's Tower. Every little riddle in this game has a distinct purpose and allows for advancement of the story (like almost everything in this game). The trading chain is fun, what with trying to figure out what goes to who and what you'll gain in return. The bosses can be aggressive too, especially early in the game when you're ill-equipped for such major battles. Even so, as a stalwart explorer, I had this game beat in a week the first time I played it.

Replay Value: 8
That doesn't mean I wasn't coming back for more though. I still had Secret Seashells to find, caverns to uncover and explore, Pieces of Heart to find beyond the normal boundaries of the world. You're not going to find everything in this game on the first try, I guarantee you.

This game would make any Game Boy enthusiast proud to own. There's a reason this golden oldie is one of the Game Boy's million-sellers.

8 + 10 + 10 + 8 + 8 = 44 divided by 5.....

Overall score: 9/10