Review by Link19

"Another great game for a great series."

Link's Awakening is yet another hit in one of the most popular series ever made. It combines the hero, Link, in a new land and on a new adventure. If you are a first time Zelda player then this is also a good game for you. It was the first Zelda game I played and once I started playing it I was hooked.

STORY:(10/10) The story is a nice change to the other previous Zelda games. It isn't in Hyrule and the characters are different. You get shipwrecked in a storm and find your on a mysterious island. You are rescued by a strange girl and brought to her house. Then the adventure begins.

SOUND:(10/10) The sound is good for a GameBoy game. It still isn't great but if it makes the game any worse for you just turn off the sound. It doesn't make a difference wether the sound is on or not the game is still awesome.

MUSIC:(10/10) The music combines some of the original Zelda music with some cool new tunes. If you liked the music for the original games then you'll like the music for this. If you don't, then like I said for the sound, turn of the sound.

GRAPHICS:(10/10) The graphics are some of the best I've seen for a GameBoy game. Though it is black and white and the people seem sort of compacted, the enemies and background scenery is still clear and it is easy to make out caves, items, bombable spots, holes, etc.

GAMEPLAY:(10/10) The game takes a fairly long time to play with all the side-quests and extra things you can do in it. It can be hard at some parts but there is good bit of easy parts too. Overall, I would say it was a semi-hard game. The game is fun and easy to master the controls with only the four buttons on the GameBoy.

BUY OR RENT?: I would say buying this game would be the best. There is a lot of stuff to do and it is fun to beat over and over again. It is a pretty old game too, so I don't know of a video store that has it in stock around the city I live in. Even if you did I would buy it because like I said it takes a while to completly beat and is fun to replay.

Link's Awakening is not just another RPG game, it is a game all it's own. With it's unique style and gameplay it is one of the best portable games out there.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/31/02, Updated 07/31/02