Review by TheBiggah

"Finally, a GameBoy game that is fun to play"

The Legend of Zelda finally makes it to GameBoy, but is it any good? Read on to find out just how good it really is.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
Absolutely spectacular graphics for a gameboy. This game was released in 1993 and it's graphics are still better than most games today in 2000. (They're definately better than Pokemon). There is so much attention to detail in this game it's amazing. You can even see the flowers blowing in the wind! Link's animations are excellent too.

SOUND: 10/10
Perfect. The music holds true to the Zelda series. It fits the levels/areas perfectly. It sounds great and helps set the mood quite well. You'll find yourself humming the music all day. SFX are extrememly well done. Link's sword even sounds different when hit against a flimsy wall, then when it's hit against a solid wall. Each weapon has it's own distinct sound. You can even play 3 different songs on the ocarina.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
The gameplay is excellent. This game has the perfect mix of puzzle-solving and baddy-bashing. This game will impress you. There's also tons of stuff to collect, everything from seashells and pieces of heart, to playing the trading game. And just wait until you fight the bosses. Every boss is well animated and each will test your gaming ability the first time you fight them. These are the best bosses I've seen on a gameboy game, and I've been playing games for 11 years.

LASTING APPEAL: 9/10
Alas, as all games do, this one eventually has an end too. However, this game will endear itself to your heart and have you addicted in no time! You'll want to go back and play it again and again to see if and what you missed the previous time through the game. I've had this game since it was released in 1993 and I still enjoy going adventuring on Koholint Island with Link. It's that good.

RENT/BUY: Buy
If you're any sort of a Zelda fan, this game is a MUST HAVE! If you've never played a Zelda game before (may god have mercy on you...) you may want to rent this first, but just be warned: This game is VERY addictive! I pity the gamer who doesn't have this classic in their collection.

OVERALL: 10/10
Bravo Nintendo! Another timeless classic. I shudder to think what this world would be like without the Legend of Zelda and Shigeru Miyamoto.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/17/00, Updated 05/17/00