Review by Sapphire

"Drac is Back"

Well well well, what do we have here? Another Castlevania game? This series never gets old. If you've never played a Castlevania game, then you don't deserve to call yourself a gamer. But we're not here to talk about the Castlevania series, we're here to give a review about a great game in the series. Gameboy's Castlevania Legends. Well,let's get on with it then.

Story-7/10:
It has a good story, but not the best. Same old same old. Drac is causing trouble once again and you have to stop him. But there's more to it in this game. This is a prequel to the original one on Nintendo, so it's his first time causing trouble. You'll learn more of Dracula's past, not to mention meeting the first Belmont ever to kill him. Well, kind of kill him. You also learn a little bit of Alucard's past too. Alucard is the son of Dracuala (notice Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards?) who you first met in this game. He stars in his own game on the PSX, an awesome game name ''Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.'' This kind of explains why Maria looks so much like Sonia Belmont. You wouldn't understand what I'm saying unless you've played this game and Symphony of the Night. I'm getting off-track, let's get back on track. Be sure to read every single word carefully in the conversations Sonia has with various characters, and read the story in the book, on the back of the box, and in the opening scene if you want to fully understand it.

Graphics-8/10:
It's a Gameboy game. What would you expect? N64 graphics? No, but the graphics are very good for the time this game came out. My only complaint is the character model for Sonia. They animated Alucard better, and he only plays a minor role in the game! Come on Konami. I'm happy they cleaned up their acts for their other games. Great backgrounds and great animations for the monsters helps the graphics out a lot. And if you're playing on a GBC or Super Gameboy (SNES) then you'll also see some color. I have to admit, Konami did a great job with the graphics considering the technology they had. If only Sonia was animated better...

Gameplay-7/10:
Once again I must give a lower score. The control layout is solid. It couldn't get better. But it could have gotten more responsive. Unrespnsive and sluggish controls really hurt this game. I hate to admit it, but this is the worst part of the game.

Sound-9/10:
I really like the music in this game. Spooky tunes and realistic sound effects make it just that much better. Konami really put together a great team for the sound. I love the sound in this game. What? Whaddya mean I said that already? Well, I really like the sound. Fine, let's move on.

Replayability-10/10
This is where the game shines. I know this is usually a really bad section, but the multiple endings makes you want to play this game again. Depending on what Special Items you earn throughout the game, you'll get one of many endings. You'll have to play through the game a lot to see them all. So check them out.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/29/01, Updated 06/29/01