Review by randar83

"The Belmonts are at it again..."

The Belmonts are at it again in Castlevania Legends for GB. This time around you are Sonia Belmont, the first of the legendary Belmonts. As always you are armed with a whip, their trademark weapon. Along the way you must defeat Dracula's follower's, his son, and finally himself. You must also collect soul weapons and other items which will effect the ending of the game.

Control 8/10: The control is great but it takes a while to get her whip out leaving you open for attack. And the time limit doesn't seem long enough because Sonia moves like she's wearing lead shoes, but luckly so do her foes.

Story 8/10: The story is pure Castlevania. I loved the fact that we finally got to play as the first Belmont. It's wierd how a story can survive so many games but this one does with flying colors.

Graphics 4/10: The reason I gave the graphics a 4 is because Sonia has no facial features and her enemies are poorly done. There isn't much to the backgrounds either. But in stage five the backgrounds are the best in the entire game.

Sound 8/10: The sound was also pure Castlevania. Some times it got so freaky and repetative that I had to lower the sound to finish the level.

Gameplay 6/10: I liked the fact that you could chose a difficulty level, but I found that in any difficulty level the levels 3 and after were diffucult. The enemies can come back after you defeat them making them a little annoying.

Replay Value 8/10: The fact that game has multiple endings, secret levels, different items you must ge to see all of the endings, and the fact that it's so fun to play gives this game tons of replay power.

Overall 8/10: I love Castlevania games and I'm gald this game stays true to the side scrolling action of dracula-bashing, unlike its younger brother Castlevania 64. If get a chance you should definitly check this game out.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99