Review by djinni204

"pretty good for an old title"

I got this game during a trade-in. I traded my old game for this game and another game. Since it's pretty old, I'm not expecting this to be of any good in the first place because it was for the Game boy platform. But I was proved wrong by this game. It wasn't that bad as I expected. Here's why.

GRAPHICS
The graphics on this game is pretty average, and not that bad compare to to other games. In fact there's no choppy graphics and everything flows smoothly. Even if there is something choppy, I don't think you would notice it in the first place. And being it on the old Game boy system, you can't expect it to have colors, unless you have a Game boy color or a Game boy advance. But even though it doesn't have any colors at all, it's pretty good and bearable.

SOUNDS
I have mentioned this to my other reviews on other Game boy systems. If you are going to get this game, don't expect a good sound on the game because it doesn't have that much to offer. All you can hear is some crappy background sound, a slight beeping(if it was beeping) when you got hit and when you charge up your weapon. Aside from that, there's nothing more except for a couple of different beeps. Simply put, the sounds of this game can be summed up as beeps.

CONTROLS
The controls of this game is amazingly simple without any complexities whatsoever. All you need to do is to press A for jump,B for a slicing attack, and hold B to charge your sword for a more powerful attack. And of course, you need to use the directional pad to maneuver your character, which is Yaiba. Pretty simple right?

GAME PLAY/STORY
The game's story is about you(Yaiba) goes on a mission to defeat the evil Onimaru. But before you do that, you need to fight his henchmen first, which can be found on the last part of every mission. After you defeat all of them, you will go in the final mission wherein you have to go through a quite long stage with powerful enemies. But believe me, once you get the hang of using your attacks, they are a piece of cake.

FUN FACTOR
This game is fun in it's own way, only if you know how to appreciate it. Some of my friends who played this thinks it's pretty boring and is worth playing 5 times and then it's off to the storage. But for me, it's really fun and can be played over and over again.

BUY OR RENT
I suggest that you rent it first. But seriously, I doubt if you can find it in the rental stores. I wish you luck in trying to find it. And if you do get the chance to find it, go and rent it. And hopefully, you'll enjoy playing this.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/14/03, Updated 03/14/03