Review by Brak

"It may just be me, but I think this is a great travel game!"

Today while looking at Funcoland for rare Gameboy games, I spotted two goodies, Bionic Commando (monochrome, which I recently reviewed at DMG Ice,) and Castlevania II. In this game, you star as Christopher Belmont, who is out to rescue his kidnapped son. This game isn't without its flaws, but it sure is fun!

The graphics are pretty good. The enemies are fairly fierce looking, and the backgrounds aren't too bad. Chris sure does look like a wimp though. Also, like other old Gameboy games, it looks a little blurred on the 91 GB. Thank goodness for GBC!

The music is frightening, which is a good thing. In fact, it's much better than most of the other music I've heard on early Gameboy games. The sound effects are similar to the ones on the NES games, but they don't sound quite as good.

This game requires some good skill, like any other Castlevania game. However, there is more jumping and rope climping involved than in some other games, but it's still good fun. There is a password feature, and you select the order of the stages you defeat. The challenge is pretty high, like in most Castlevania games. However, some parts are difficult because of slippery play control. Many jumps are difficult to make, especially when there are spikes on the ceiling. You can't control the height of your jump, so a lot of times Chris will end up hurting his head. Also, the game runs at a pretty slow rate, but that's a fairly minor complaint. Sure, the game isn't perfect, but what is?

The challenge, as I said before, is pretty high. If you've played other Castlevania games, you'll know what to expect.

The replay value depends on how much you like the game. If you liked it, the replay value isn't bad, because there aren't too many other Gameboy games similar to this. If you hate the game, you'll never want to see it again.

A great game by itself, and it's even better considering it's a travel game. Try before you buy though.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/07/00, Updated 07/07/00