"It's definitely better than the first one"

The Final Fantasy Legend trilogy was one of those series that, once I got my grubby little hands on a Game Boy, I was determined to own at any cost...or almost any cost. Unfortunately, at the time, these games were extremely rare. However, the FOrce Force, if such a thing exists in any form, must have been with me, for though it took me several years, I did find copies of all three Legend games. This review is for the second game in said series.
Gameplay 10-10. It's basically a traditional RPG with a few new features. For instance, the first game in the series introduced the concept of monsters as party members (at least I'm pretty sure it did), and also the concept of changing said monster's form by eating the meat sometimes dropped by defeated enemies. The only downside is the level-up system for Mutants, which are this game's magic users. They tend to level up when and where they feel like it (all characters except Robots and monsters do, though it's less annoying than it is for Mutants). The reason this is so annoying is that you might find a set of Mutant abilities you really like only to have him or her lose that ability in favor of another less useful one. Sometimes, but only rarely, the Mutant might lose one ability only to regain it, which I always found rather funny. Oddly enough, the regained ability never seemed quite as strong as the original.
Control 10-10. Once again, the controls are quite simple. I won't list them here because you can easily work them out.
Audio 10-10. The music in this game is easily better than that of the first game. A few tunes I.E. the victory fanfare, return in this installment, but they're enhanced quite nicely. I like this game's battle themes better than the first one, especially in the final battle.
Sound effect wise, FFL2 beats out FFL1 quite nicely. A few sound effects return, but there's more variety in this game, and the old effects are presented much more nicely, at least to me. There's a lot more of 'em, too.
Story 10-10. When the ancient gods departed, they left behind relics of great power. These were called Magi, and there were many scattered throughout the lands. It was said that if anyone ever gathered all these Magi together, they would bring that person great power. As is always the case when one deals with such power, there were many who longed to possess it, and not all of these people had the wellfare of the races on their minds. Your father knew this and resolved, probably out of curiosity at first, to find and gather together the Magi. He was gone long years before the game actually begins. You, the hero, set out originally to find your father and bring him home if he still lives. However you two are drawn into the battle to protect the Magi from those who would misuse their power. Your quest will take you across strange lands ruled by some fairly well known gods from various mythologies. Odin is from Norse legends, Apollo and Venus are from Greek and Roman myth and so-on. Usually you have to defeat these deities in battle.
Overall 10-10. This is a great continuation to the Legend series and doesn't feature as much of that weird flaw in its weapon system that was in the prior game. It's definitely worth the money you spend on it. Then again, maybe you won't like it as much as I did. Oh well, I'll leave the choice to you.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/03/01, Updated 03/17/03