Review by Sim Kid

"An underrated Sequel to an overrated game"

FLASHBACK TO THE PAST: Final Fantasy legend, one of the first gameboy games ever, brought endless shame to the name ''Final Fantasy''. The Graphics were ugly, the leveling up system was next to impossible to figure out, the game itself had you yell ''DIE YOU STUPID FIEND!!'' every 5 seconds in just the second world. And the battle graphics were just plain TERRIBLE. I had grown alot of hatred for that game, as it took nearly 7 months to beat, and I felt like I just wasted 20 dollars on it.

A COUPLE YEARS LATER: Final Fantasy Legend 2 is released. I thought: ''Oh great. Another one.'', and I was already beginning to hear bad things about it. I decided to rent it to see whether I want to buy it or not. I was simply moved. Sure the leveling up system and the beasts having to eat meat hadn't changed, but it was still infinatly better than the first one. Alot of people didn't even pick up this game, because it was a sequal to the suckiest Gameboy RPG ever-Final Fantasy legend. Why is this game so underrated? Well, let's find out:

Compared to the first one, these graphics are god. These graphics, though being state of the art at the time, easily outdone alot of other classic graphics, like the Super Mario Land, and was alot like Super Mario land 2. The enemies look infinatly better (The Final Boss even has a backround and is animated too!). Also, the gods look cool too.

The sound isn't just that boring ''Doo doo doody doodo doo dooo doody doody doooo'' anymore. It's got a nifty battle music that has you humming the tune. Also, the overworld music may get annoying, but in those long overworld stretches, you can just go to a town and change the music temporaily using the jukebox. The sound sounds a tad more realistic than the first one, the hammer actually makes a crusing sound and not a slashing sound. Wow, can you believe it?

Difficulty: 2/10
Argh, the leveling up system is just too hard. Random stats go up at random times from using random stuff, and the Beasts still have to eat that stupid meat and get E-Coli to transform into a stronger beast. And those Robots, you just need to equip them. The game is pretty easy itself, it's just the stupid leveling up system that really got to me. Oh yeah, there's also Odin and how you have to kill him in 6 turns, which took me around infinity tries before he finally fell to my blades.

Control: 9/10
Yeah yeah it's a gameboy game. The controls aint too hard to figure out.

Replay Value: 6/10
Well, you are only on one path: Get all of the MAGI. There's no sidequests or optional bosses or anything. Yeah the Nasty Dungeon is kind of a sidequest, but you have to go to that world. Yeah, you can also walk around to get every item and to get infinate gold or to talk to everyone or to figure out what your beast will turn into. It's kind of boring actually, but with all of the plot twists that somehow fit into the story, you might wanna go back and play it a second time.

I really liked this game. I actually considered this the first RPG worth paying money for on the Gameboy. I still don't understand why so many people hated this game because it was a sequal (That had no meaning to the plot of the first one) to that crappy RPG.

Best part: The Music scene

Worst part: having to Kill Odin.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/03, Updated 05/25/03