Review by Geo

"Extraordinarily groovy."

I first heard about this game upon reading a Nintendo Power preview. I was really getting into RPGs at the time, and the fact that the only system I had was...a Gameboy...made me desperate for anything I could get my hands on--and GG, I must say, looked very cool indeed. In any case, in spite of the game's apparent rarity, I managed to get my hands on a copy soon after it came out (and never saw it since until a few months ago, when, amazingly enough, I happened to come upon a used copy which I picked up for a friend who hadn't been so fortunate as to find one--GG is the only game I've ever purchased twice). Was it worth it? Oh yes indeed it was! It's a bizarre game, but also a great one.

Based on the description--evil industrialists working to pollute a pristine world--one would think Great Greed to be a very dark game indeed, but, although at certain points (the final world in particular...shudder), it gets very grim indeed, it's actually rather jolly on the whole. The designers had a strange obsession with food of all types, so nearly every location and character in the game is named after some sort of gastronomical delight or other. And...well, I don't want to spoil anything, but the premises for most of the various worlds (eight in all) are really strange and creative. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's shock and delight on encountering them by giving any examples, but suffice it to say that the game never gets boring--and wait'll you see the ending.

It can get difficult--some of the bosses in particular are quite nasty--but it's never enough to induce violence in the player, and for the most part it's balanced well enough. The combat system is an interesting one--all battles are one-on-one, and instead of choosing commands from a menu, each the Gameboy's different buttons has a different button: A to attack, each of the directional buttons to cast a separate spell, and so on. You push a button, and you and the enemy execute a move at the same time. It's ultimately fairly simplistic, but it works well enough and makes most battle go by with celerity--one can only imagine how cool this system could be utilizing all of a Playstation's buttons (yo, Namco--forget Tales of Eternia; we want GREATER GREED!).

As far as graphics go, they're about par for the course--on the same level as Square's portable works of art. Music, while not on the same level as the aforementioned Square games, is really pretty funky--GG is one of the few portable games I don't mute whilst playing.

I really love this game. I've played through it three times, and I'll probably play it a few more in my life. Emulating portable games sort of defeats the point, but if you happen to see a copy for sale anywhere, by all means snap it up--in these long, dark years of Pokemon saturation, playing a *good* portable RPG will provide quite a contrast.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/05/00, Updated 03/05/00