Review by gabbo

"A sub-par video game based on the Disney classic."

I got this game for my birthday, from my cousin. I opened it, and looked at it for a while, then said ''Cool. Thanks.''. Later, I popped it into my gray brick, and was greeted by a 30 second wait as I watched the Disney logo and the Virgin Interactive screens go by, that couldn't be skipped. Finally, there was the title screen, with the Pinocchio movie theme. Then, I started to play it....

An hour and a half later, I was watching the ending. I guess it was kinda fun to play. Somewhat.

It's the classic Disney movie in video game form. You play as Pinocchio, a puppet who has come to life. But he still needs to become a real boy. So he sets out on an adventure to earn 3 badges from the blue fairy. The badge of Truth, Bravery, and Unselfishness. It's basically the movie, but with a few changes. It's good, but not great.

Graphics/Presentation: 6/10

For a Game Boy game that's 9 years old, it's just okay. The backgrounds are pretty detailed, as are the screenshots from the movie. But some of the sprites are kinda ''unidentifiable'' (If that's a word...). You jump on this black pole thing that looks like a ''T'', and next thing you know your spinning on it and flying in the air. What the crap is that thing, you ask? I have no idea. And there are plenty of other things like that too. Sometimes you can't tell is something is part of the background, or the foreground. Or if that curvy line is a wall or a decoration. It gets pretty confusing. Animation is good, though. Pinocchio pretty much skips around everywhere, and you can kinda see him doing that.

As for the presentation, it's good. In between each level you'll see short explanations of the story, with pictures from the movie. It helps know just what's going on. Menus are simple, and there's not much to them. Pretty standard stuff.

Sound: 7.5/10

The sound in Pinocchio is pretty good. Nice rendition of the music from the movie, in Game Boy form. Each level has its own catchy song. Some of them are pretty repetitive, but other than that it's good. Sound effects are pretty standard. Birds chirp and tweet, and various other things sound like they should. Nothing to really call home about.

Controls: 5/10

Simple stuff. A is for jumping, and B is for doing a spinning kick that damages enemies. Start pauses the game, as it should. The controls aren't very responsive, which can be a pain. That's about it.

Pinocchio is a very simple game, gameplay-wise. Get to the end of the level, in any way possible. You can play as Jiminy Cricket in one level, as he smashes moths, and another level where you ride a roller coaster. So I can't really say it gets repetitive. The first time you play this game you may have some fun. And you may even try to finish it in one sit down. All-in-all, its fun. But it doesn't last very long.

Replay Value: 3/10

Honestly, you could finish this game in about and hour, if you're good at games. After that, there's not much else to do. There's an Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulty, but they don't really offer much. It's a good pick-up-and play game. Pick it up, play it, beat it.

Final Verdict: 6/10

It's fun while it lasts. But after you've gone through it once or twice, you probably won't pick it up again. It's $18 at GameStop, and frankly, it's not worth it. Unless you're a big fan of the movie, for some reason. But if you are a fan, I'd recommend the SNES version instead. At least you can tell the difference between a wall and a background.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/04