Review by Retro

"An original and unbelievably fun and addicting pinball game"

When most people first look at Revenge Of The 'Gator for the first time, they might wonder what it is or how a pinball game featuring alligators could be fun. I knew as soon as I saw this game in the store years ago that I would like it, for two reasons. One, I LOVE pinball games, whether it's a real pinball machine or a pinball video game, I like pinball a lot. Two, hey what's wrong with alligators? I think they're cool.

In Revenge Of The 'Gator, you'll see most of the typical things that you see in just about all pinball video games. There is the spring that you pull back to shoot the pinball to begin with, bumpers, things to do to earn the chance for bonus points, ways to get an extra pinball, and a lot more.

However, you will see even more things in Revenge Of The 'Gator that you don't see in many, if any of the other pinball video games. There is a slot machine that has fish, stars, and what looks like either pears or squash on it. If you get 3 of something on the slot machine, something good or bad will happen. For example, if you get 3 fish, some stoppers will come up. The stoppers are in the form of a gator head on each side that would typically take you down a level or make you lose a ball, and a big gator head that looks like it's depressed in the place where you lose most of your balls in a pinball game, which is between the two flippers.

There are also a few other things that make this game original, and of course most of them come in the form of alligators. The first time you ever see the bottom level of the game, you will notice that there are three gator heads that are opening and closing their mouths. They are doing that because they are hungry and they want to eat your pinball. Shoot the pinball in the first gator's mouth and your pinball will be transported back up to the first level and one of the alligators on that level will spit out your ball. Shoot the pinball in the middle gator's mouth and you will be taken to a bonus level, which I will explain a little later in this review. If you shoot the pinball in the third gator's mouth, you will get the chance to use the spring to shoot the pinball over, just like you would if you were to earn an extra ball.

Like I mentioned before, there are different levels in Revenge Of The 'Gator instead of being like some pinball games that just have one main screen. There are two main screens and a few others that consist of bonus levels or a chance to go to bonus levels. And that brings me to my next point.

Without a doubt, my favorite thing about Revenge Of The 'Gator is its awesome bonus levels. There are three bonus levels that you can go to if you do the right thing. I can't tell you how to get to them because that would be a spoiler. I know I already mentioned how to get to one of them, but the other two you will have to figure out on your own. All three of the bonus levels are a lot of fun. In one of them you have to hatch baby alligators that can fly and you then try to destroy them for a cool batch of bonus points. In my personal favorite bonus level, there is an alligator that walks on top of what looks to be like a bunch of fish. You have to shoot your pinball and take out a bunch of the fish in order to make a hole big enough to make the walking alligator fall down. If you shoot the alligator while he is falling, you will earn tons of great bonus points. There is one other bonus level, but I'll leave it up to you to find out what it is.

There are also other things that make this game one of a kind and even more entertaining. Before you even start the game, alligators will be dancing around putting on a show for you. In the bottom level of the game there are four alligators waiting for you to flatten their noses, literally. In the first, or top level, it can even be a little bit funny when you hit the alligator's nose and make it twitch. I also liked what the game does when you lose a ball. Instead of the typical pinball game that just makes a sound to let you know you just lost a ball, in Revenge Of The 'Gator, it will show your pinball fall into a waiting alligator's mouth. The gator swallows your pinball and then looks at the screen as if it were saying, ''Thanks for the dinner, it was good.''

All in all, Revenge Of The 'Gator is tons of fun and it's real addicting, especially if you're playing to try and find and then complete the bonus levels. The bonus levels are a little hard to get to and then once you do get to them it's hard to stay in them, that is my only complaint whatsoever of this game. However, I shouldn't really complain about that because that just adds a better challenge and much better replay value to Revenge Of The 'Gator.

GRAPHICS - Revenge Of The 'Gator has great graphics. Since this is a Game Boy game, there's not any color, but the graphics are good nonetheless. The alligators look detailed and clear, and the other items and obstacles are not anything to complain about either.

SOUND - The sound is what you would expect from a pinball game. There is the constant sound of the ball bouncing off bumpers, stoppers, etc. But since this game is so original, there are many sounds you won't hear in any other pinball game. The music is also good, even though it would've been better if there was a few more songs to choose from, sort of like there is in Tetris. There is just one song that plays and it doesn't change except for when you go to a bonus level.

CONTROL - The control in Revenge Of The 'Gator isn't really a factor because all you have to do is press A to shoot the ball to begin with and then press A to control the right flipper and the control pad in any direction to control the left flipper. The controls are real responsive, as soon as you press a button to do anything, it does it right away.

REPLAY VALUE - If you like pinball video games, you will play this game over and over for years to come. I've had this game over 10 years now and I haven't got tired of it yet.

OVERALL - I've always been a fan of games that are original and games that aren't all that much like any other games of its kind, and Revenge Of The 'Gator is one of them! It's also got good sound, music, graphics, and best of all, it's a lot of fun so I'm definitely giving this one a perfect score. If you like pinball games and you ever see a chance to get Revenge Of The 'Gator, I definitely recommend getting it right away!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/10/01, Updated 05/20/02