Review by jfeathe

"The worst game in an amazing series."

Super Mario Land 2 is the sequel to the fourth-highest selling game for the Gameboy, Super Mario Land. Everything about this game is updated: the graphics are better, the sound is better, and they included a world map and a save feature. Despite this, however, this is an severely inferior game. Most of the levels are completely boring, the difficulty is wildly uneven, and the boss fights are horrendous. However, instead of just giving this game a 1 and forgetting about it, I feel like it deserves a higher score because of the later games that came from it. It opened the door to the wonderful Wario Land series, and for that it gets its higher rating.

I bought the game at a used game shop so I never got the manual. There was probably a story there, but I don't really know. The game included Wario as the villain which was a twist compared to most other Mario games so this gets an automatic 3.

Manual design and In-game menus: 2/2

I don't have the manual so I can't judge that. The in-game menus are easy to use. The world map is clear enough.

The graphics are actually fairly well done. The problem is, they are so simple. There is usually very little in the backgrounds and the enemies could have moved a bit smoother. The bosses look pretty nice. Overall, they are impressive for the Gameboy but I felt they could have done better.

Audio: 7/10

The music and sound itself is alright, But put in the context of the game, it just doesn't fit. That's all I can say about it.

Controls: 7/10

They are simple and easy to learn but tough to master. Mario feels different in this game; I really don't know what it is. Swimming is rare but well handled. Special levels that take place in a bubble or swim suit are reasonably well done as well.

Gameplay and Fun Factor: 22/55

I'll be honest, the only reason I finished this game was to beat every game in the series. Most of the levels are so easy it's unbearable. The enemies move insanely slow and you often go for long periods in a level with nothing to do but run. On the other hand, there are a few levels that are very difficult. These are the most fun, but surprisingly they don't necessarily come at the end of the each world. As a result, the difficulty is horribly random.
Now bosses. Oh Lord, the bosses. Out of the 7 main bosses probably only 3 were slightly challenging. The rest were easily beaten in 20 seconds or less. Tatanga, the final boss from the previous game makes a mighty return as probably the easiest main boss.

Replay Value: 9/10

Just so you know, the replay value score does not take into consideration the gameplay and fun factor score. If it did, it would unfairly lower a game's overall score. The replay value score is the amount of the extra content after you beat a game. It also includes whether another playthrough is necessary.
When you beat Super Mario Land 2, most likely you will not have played all of the levels. Quite a few 'zones' have branching paths and secret levels.

Overall score: 58/100

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/10/10

Game Release: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (US, 11/30/92)