Review by theshinerufus

"Another classic from the mario series"

Super Mario Land 2 was the sequel to Super Mario Land (obviously), a hugely successful side-scroller that was released in the late 80s. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is all that and so much more! Its a classic! I first played it when I was 6 and I found it easy, fun and enjoyable. I lost it however, but, thanks to the European re-release of this classic I was able to play it again. Now I'm 12 and its just as much fun still! It is however, very easy, and the original was much harder.

Graphics
Gone with Super Mario Land's simplistic graphics, and in with kick ass graphics and lots of great detail! These graphics won't dissapoint: Mario is taller and much more colourful (if you're playing on a GBC) and detailed. The enemies too have impressive animation. 96%

Sound/Music
The Mario theme is back, its remastered, and its better than ever! The MIDI file of the music for this game is worth downloading, as there are some nice tunes such as the halloween level's theme's and the world map theme. Let's not forget the Space level' themes. Sound-bites have been improved since the prequel too. 92%

Gameplay
Two words: FUN and EASY. Your mission: To obtain the 6 Golden coins by completing each zone comprised of 4-8 levels and a boss battle at the end. Once you've obtained the 6 golden coins, you may enter Wario's Castle and attempt to defeat him.
That's your quest, and each level is side-scrolling. You kill monsters by jumping on them or shooting them (when you have bullets) and you can fly too! Another improvement over the original is you can go back to the start without the camera stopping you. An ideal game for a road-trip, plane trip or if ur just damn bored! 100%

Controls
A to jump and B to shoot. Also, some people don't know this but at the start of the game when you select the save file, press SELECT to access a secret easy mode! Like you need it! 98%

Difficulty
EASY!! One of the easiest games ever, and much easier than its prequel Super Mario Land and its sequel Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land! And for complete dumbasses, theres an easy mode too!!! 51% (Too Easy)

Buy or Rent?
This is, in my opinion, the best GameBoy Mario game. So..Buy it!

Recommendations
Mario's been going on so long now you could call him a celebrity! 17 years of games! So if you liked this, you'll like the following GameBoy Mario games: Super Mario Land , Super Mario Land 3: Warioland, Mario Golf.
That's not all! The following are Mario games for different consoles...
Warioland 2 (GBC), Warioland 3 (GBC), Warioland 4 (GBA), Super Mario Bros (NES), Super Mario Bros 2 (NES), Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), Super Mario: The Lost Levels (NES), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), Super Mario 64 (N64), Super Mario RPG (SNES), Super Mario RPG 2 (N64), Mario Kart (N64), Super Mario Kart (SNES), Super Mario All Stars (SNES), Super Mario Collection (SNES), Super Mario World (SNES), Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES), Super Mario (Genesis), Mario (PC), Mario & Yoshi (GB), Super Mario Advance (GBA).

Pros
-The best portable Mario game
-Great detail and graphics
-It's a classic!
-Many improvements over the original

Cons
-Too easy

Availability
Its currently out of print everywhere. The ROM is also quite rare. However, it had a European re-release and can be seen in a lot of second-hand shops throughout the US.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/22/01, Updated 08/22/01