"The Best of the 3 Mario Land Games!"

Welcome to my review of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins! Igot this game in 1997 or so and still play it today after beating it numerous times. For a Gameboy black and white game, that speaks volumes. This is a timeless GameBoy masterpiece, and rightfully so. Anyway, onto the review.

For a little black and white handheld, these graphics are excellent. I'd even go as far as to say, if these were in full color, they would rival Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System. But that's another story for another day. Let's just say this milks the original GameBoy for all it is (or was, I guess you could say, kiddies).

Oh Shigeru Miyamoto, you are a genius. This game has playcontrol 95% of other GameBoy games can only dream about (if video games have dreams, that is.;) ) This playcontrol is absolute spoton accurate. You get to control Mario as Small Mario, Big Mario, Fireball-Shootin Rootin' Tootin Mario, Flying without wings Mario, and Invincible Mario (with the help of a star of course). This game is absolutely perfect in this category.

At least Nintendo tried to vary the story a little teeny bit, even though I never knew Mario had a Castle, because I don't think they have Castles from where he's from (Brooklyn). Anyway, Wario (Mario's evil...cousin?) decides one day, that he;'s gonna be bad and steal Mario's Castle and (rather ingeniously) locks Mario out and literally throws away the keys to 6 Zones around Mario's Castle, that Mario ''supposedly'' owns. Hey, this doesn't seem fair. Mario gets a castle, and doesn't even let his brother Luigi live there with him after all he's been through? As the Hurricane would say,''What's up wit dat???'' Oh well, Luigi will have to settle for his mansion that he won after years of sleeping on the street.

Actually quite bland for a GameBoy title, you never hear the worldfamous Mario theme in this game once. In fact, you don't hear even a single drip (not a single gosh darn drip can you believe it folks. As the Hurrican would say, ''What's up wit dat???!!!'') of classic Mario music, and only the worst Mario sound effects are making a retun in this release. What can I say? There are no games that fully exploit a system's capabilities, with the exception of Zelda. It's a sad but true fact, ladies and gentlemen.

This review was written on Oct. 29, 2001