Review by Cooper

"I had forgotten how cool this one was!"

I pulled this game out the other day to kinda relive the past a bit. I remembered it being fun, I was still right. It was still fun. I never did find every bonus level so I might do that sometime soon. Anyway, on with the review.

Story 10/10: This was a pretty good story line for the Mario series. It was good in that is strayed from the traditional ''Save the Princess'' theme. The story was also good in that it introduced one of the most legendary charcters Nintendo now has: Wario.

Graphics 8/10: I always thought the graphics in this game were pretty good, especially for the Game Boy. They look very similar to those found in Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3.

Sound 7/10: As with most Game Boy titles, there is nothing special about the sound, but hey, it works. The music fits the various levels well. The sound effects are pretty neat too.

Control 10/10: The classic formula for platform games. A button jumps and B button shoots fireballs and runs. Nothing wrong with the controls at all. This game comes from a time when things were so simple.

Gameplay 9/10: This game is pretty solid when it comes to the actual gameplay. There are several hidden blocks and bonus items as well as a wide variety of powerups and a wide array of levels to traverse. The addition of the bunny ears is really neat. That is one of my favorite powerups. You get them by getting the carrot powerup. With them, you can float through the air for a long period of time. Of course you also have your standard fireflower and ever present super mushroom. One interesting thing about the game is the hut at the bottom where you can do bonus games depending on your coin count. Your coin count doesn't restart after you get 100 and the more coins you have, the better the selection of prizes will be. Try to collect as many coins as you can. Lots of bosses and hidden bonus worlds too. The final castle is pretty tough, as there is no half-way save so if you die even when you make it to Wario, you gotta do the whole thing over again. Makes for a good challenge though.

Overall 8/10: This game was the original Game Boy at its best. I have fond memories of it, and it was always my favorite of the three original Super Mario Land games. If you want a classic and can manage to find this, you need to go for it. Odds are you will get a very good price for it. Trust me, it's worth the money.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/13/02, Updated 01/13/02