Review by cranium7

"Unique style, but it just doesn't sit well with me."

This game is a classic, don't get me wrong. But for me, classics belong in history lessons. I'd much rather play Mario 64 than this.

GRAPHICS: 4
Even for the GB, the graphics are bland. The animation is nothing to write home about either, and even the enemies look dumb. Heck, even Wario looks retarded.....

SOUND: 5
The sound effects are the typical Mario beeps. I like some of the music, but most of it just gets on your nerves after awhile.

CONTROL: 5
The controls are very loose, and at times slippery. That's not a good thing. The drill jump is hard to pull off in certain situations, and the rabbit ear powerup makes flight much more of a chore than before.

STORY: 7
To put it bluntly, this is probably the best part of the game. Why? It introduces the one, the only, the warui Mario ripoff.... WARIO!

DIFFICULTY CURVE: n/a
Almost all of the game is very nonlinear. However, you might find that going to the wrong area early on can have you dead in about two seconds. However, then entire game is fairly easy, with the possible exception of the castle.

OVERALL: 4/10
This is a tough decision, and it all depends on your type of interest. If you spend hours each day playing Pac-Man or the like, this game will be good for you. If not..... well, watch out.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99