Review by AKMoose

"A good Mario game, if you don't mind an easy one."

Well, since I just reviewed Kirby's Dream Land, I thought I might as well review another GameBoy game. So here's the game that introduced Wario (I think), Super Mario Land 2.

Graphics: 8 out of 10. The graphics on this game are pretty good. The different backgrounds, from the inside of a whale to on a treetop or inside a house, are well done. The enemies and Mario himself look pretty good as well.

Sound: 6 out of 10. The music and sound effects are decent, but forgettable. Not much else that can be said.

Story: 6 out of 10. Wario takes control of Mario's castle, and the only way Mario can get inside to battle him is by gathering six golden coins. No Princess Toadstool!

Control/Gameplay: 8 out of 10. A pretty fun game, if not that challenging. A few points off because the control can be rough some times. You can choose which coin to go after first, as the game is divided into six zones, each with a few standard Mario levels and with a boss at the end. Add in a few secret levels and the Castle, and there's about 30 levels. There's an ''Easy Mode'', but you won't need it. The only real tough part is the castle.

Replay Value: 6 out of 10. Not enough of a challenge for a high replay value, but the game is still fun after you've beaten it once.

Overall Score: 6.8, rounds to a 7. A good Mario game. You get to choose what areas you go into first, which I don't think was in a Mario game before this. The carrot/bunny power-up was interesting, but didn't really last. Still, this game's worth a try if you don't mind a fairly easy game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/25/00, Updated 01/25/00