Review by gabbo

"For Nintendo so loved their fans, that they gave them another Mario game. And thus, it was good."

Ahhh...Mario. Do your talents know no bounds? If this classic Game Boy game is any indication, no it does not.

This game was one of the very first games I ever played, along with Tetris, Legend of Zelda, and Marble Madness. I have treasured for so long because of it. Mario Land 2 holds a special place in my heart. And no one can change that. Well, enough with the sappy talk. Lets get down to business.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is the sequel to the fun Game Boy platformer, Super Mario Land. It takes that game, and improves on it in every way possible. It's longer, it's prettier, it's more like the NES Mario games, it's got more power-ups, and it introduces one of the Mario series's most beloved characters: Wario.

For a Mario game, this is a pretty decent story. There are no princesses to save, or Bowsers to kill. It's different, and there's nothing wrong with trying to be different.

As usual, you play the game as Mario. Instead of the princess being captured again, you have a different mission. You must collect 6 Golden Coins scattered across the land, in order to claim your castle back from Wario, your new arch-rival. You'll have to go through different ''zones'' in order to get these coins, including the Pumpkin Zone, Tree Zone, and even Mario Zone, featuring a giant robot version of Mario. It's a simple story, but most Mario games are just that. Simple.

Graphics/Presentation: 8/10

This game was made 12 years ago, for the Game Boy. The graphics are definitely out-dated, but for it's time, they are pretty decent. Not only are they 10 times better than the first Mario Land, but they also look more like the SMB 3 version of Mario. The world of Mario is better looking too. Giant ants look like giant ants. Vampires look like vampires. And large bubble-blowing hippos look as they should. Backgrounds aren't too fancy, but they improve on the first one immensely.

The presentation is average. There's 3 save files to save to, unlike Mario Land 1. You don't really need fancy menus in a Mario game, so don't expect any of those. Title screen looks good, and the box art is detailed, with lots of stuff in it. Uhhh...that's about it.

Like the first Mario Land, this game contains some very catchy music. There's music for every zone, and every type of level, so it doesn't get repetitive. I guarantee that you'll be whistling to some of these tunes after you play it. The music is no disappointment.

As for the sound effects, they don't quite match up to the music, but they aren't terrible, either. The familiar Mario game sound effects are here, but slightly different. All-in-all, it just sounds like a Mario game. You can't ask for much more than that.

Controls: 8/10

Basic Mario controls are here. Hold B to run, and press A to jump. There's some other ''advanced'' moves, but I'll leave that to the FAQ writers. It doesn't take long to master these controls. And that's never a bad thing.

Mario platforming on the Game Boy at it's finest. Nothing can compete with the addicting gameplay of Mario. Completing a level has a certain sense of accomplishment not found in many games. You'll want to find those stupid Golden Coins, and you'll be very persistent to do so, until the final battle against Wario. On the way you'll be able to play in mini-games for rewards, put on a spacesuit and float around the moon, swim underwater while avoiding sharks with boxing gloves, and even be shrunken down to the size of an ant. Power-ups add to the experience. The new Carrot power-up allows you to don little rabbit ears that let you fly around, while the familiar Mushrooms, Stars, and Fire Flowers return. What more can you ask for in a Mario game?

Although I have to be honest. This game is a little easy. It's longer than Mario Land, I'll give it that, but it doesn't take as long to beat this game as it does to beat SMB3. Even on Normal mode it's fairly simple to go from zone to zone, getting the coins. But it is fun, while it lasts. There's no doubt of that. If you're looking for good-old Mario gameplay, then you've got it right here.

Replay Value: 7/10

Like I mentioned earlier, the journey of collecting the 6 Golden Coins isn't a very difficult one. You might not beat it on your first try, or even your second one. But it ends fairly soon. It's a fun game to play on-the-go, which is what the Game Boy is for. Take it on a long road trip, or to the waiting room in the doctor's office. You'll be entertained. I've beaten it a few times, and in my opinion, it never gets old. Maybe it's because of my deep love for this. Or maybe it's just because it's that good.

Final Verdict: 9/10

There's no denying that this game is fun. There's no denying that this game is good. If you're an avid Mario fan, or even a fan of platformers in general, you can't go wrong with this game. It might not last very long, but it's sweet, sweet gaming on the way there. If you see it for cheap at GameStop or something, snatch it up quickly. You won't regret it. Believe me.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/04, Updated 03/12/04