Review by cranium7

"It's a love-hate relationship..."

Pokémon, I believe, is one of the best games on the Gameboy. But will you like it? It depends. No matter how much I (or anyone else) love this game (and cartoon, cards, etc.), I have to say that it's not for everyone.

First off: Graphics. The graphics are short of awe-inspiring. Most, nay, all of the overworld is very simple, with no special effects (waving, parallax, etc). The fights are much better, your rival trainers and Pokémon looking semi-cool. However, I hate the way that you and your own Pokémon are so pixelized, almost as if they had been zoomed in on (which, of course, they weren't). Overall: 4 out of 10.

Sound: Most of the music is very annoying and repetitious, but then again this is the Gameboy so who can complain? The rival-trainer music is good, however, and the boss music is great, especially with the last fight in the game. The different sounds of the Pokémon themselves are very, very similar (Snorlax, Slowbro, Articuno, and Jynx are notable exceptions). Overall: 6 out of 10.

Control: Stupidly easy to get into. It's the main setup: the + pad moves you, the A button checks something or talks to someone, B cancels, and Start pauses. This setup is great for first-time game players but INSANELY boring for anyone more "jaded." Overall: 5 out of 10 (since there aren't any problems with it).

Fun: You need patience to get into this game. At first it seems like a waste of time, but once you start getting some badges and more than 6 Pokémon, it gets pretty addictive. It's also surprisingly long (well, it was to me). Unfortunately, most of the text is childish, the objectives simple and puzzles almost nonexistant. I believe that the two-player battles and trading would be awesome, but I've personally never been able to :(.

Overall: 8 out of 10.

The best thing to do is find someone else who has it so that you can play for a while to see if it's up your alley, since, like I said, it's a love-hate relationship, and it's about a 50%-50% split. Try before you buy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99