Review by Mmeeva

"The hit Japanese game arrives to the US, but will it be a hit here..."

When a game sells a few million copies of a game in Japan, it's almost certain that the game may do the same here.

Pokemon is a game that has sold millions of games by itself. But the biggest surprise is that the game is a Gameboy game. Not a system that you would think that could sell a million copies of any game. But not only has it done that it has also spawned a cartoon series, toys, and several other related stuff.

The basis of the game is simple, try to catch all 150 Pokemon. But the catch is that you cannot catch all 150 by yourself. Nintendo was smart in releasing two version of this game, a Red and Blue version. The two are quite identical in that they have the exact same story and towns, but each has a diffrent set of Pokemon that can be found.

The gameplay of Pokemon is rather simple. You should be able to get the hang of the game in about 10 minutes tops. Also being somewhat of an RPG, the game itself is quite easy to understand.

The story line of Pokemon is also quite simple. In fact the story is one thing that I personally did not like about the game. Basically you try to become the greatest Pokemon trainer, and a few side missions here and there. Very simple, and if you're looking for the typical stories you find in RPG's you won't find that here.

The graphics of the game is about as good as you get on a Gameboy. The character designs are simple, yet good enough to be memorable. The music in Pokemon is also very catachy. I found myself humming to the simple tunes of the game.

The replayability of this game is quite high. Once you get a feel for the game, you will want to start over to see if you can raise your Pokemon to become stronger and see if you can catch all 150 Pokemon.

All in all I give the game a 9/10. If only they had a little more story to the game, I may have given this game a perfect 10/10. I recommened getting this game yourself. You should not have to much trouble finding someone that has Pokemon. With over 200,000 copies sold in the US, everyone should be able to find someone to trade with. That is if you can find this game still on your store shelves.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99